Right!  Also, Sair is another contributor to linux certification,
although I don't know where they stand today.  FWIW, googling "linux
certification" shows LPI a number of times, before redhat  = )

Here's an editorial that also came up, although I don't see a date on
the article:
http://www.linuxlookup.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=17&page=1

and this page also listed CompTIA's Linux+ (which I've heard more about
recently than Sair...) -- looks like a nice site to help validate the
legitimacy of linux to newcomers:
http://www.linuxcertified.com/certification_process.html

Hope that helps.

regards,

   Ben B

PS - Would anyone be willing to sponsor me?  I'd really appreciate it,
and it is the only way I could afford to get certified, that is until I
find a new employer who likes linux (I'd actually take the opportunity
for almost any certification program at the moment).  Thanks for your
time.