For an linux intermediate class how about:
shells, sed; awk; networking intro; vi or emacs ( a common command line editor); debian style install and update to current version( demonstration of non rpm update);
ftp; ip tables for starters
Jim K
PS I might be interested in something like this winter term.

PPS I think Red Hat is an excellant choice but in talking and listening to geeks/nerds debian; knoppix; gentoo etc. is increasing in popularity and a familiarity with their style of installation and and package management and a discussion of the pro and cons of the two styles of package management could prove useful. I suspect debian packagement might be very powerful for large company deployments where they have many similar machines and the sources used for installs and upgrades are company IT tested and proven packages ( perhaps with tested config files prewritten by the IT dept) for the programs in common use across the company. This I also suspect I might not be popular on this list.

Ken Barber wrote:

Id like more specific info about how steep a learning curve
it's going to be in this course.

I'm not sure which class you're talking about so I'll describe both.

People taking the system administration class should already be able to walk up to a 'nix system, log in, and be able to launch apps and do work. They should already know how to use a shell and the classic Unix commands (such as grep, less, ls, man etc.), understand Unix filesystem basics, and already know a few of the basic concepts of TCP/IP networking.

My last class was a real challenge: most of those guys really knew their stuff and I had a heck of a time giving them enough new knowledge to make it worth their money.

The Newbies class is aimed at people who've never seen Linux before and need to use it at work or home. We will cover the least amount of system administration possible and concentrate mostly on familiarizing folks with the dizzying array of apps that come with most distros. Shells and filesystem concepts will be introduced. Prior familiarity with 'doze or MacOS will be helpful.

I would guess you're somewhere in between these. Perhaps I should propose an "intermediate" class for Fall Term? What material would I cover in such a class? Gimme some ideas....

Ken