BAGGAB wrote:

> Maybe I should be considering another disrto.  I've tried Mandrake and
> koppix, but I hear a lot of good buzz about Gentoo.

I would say that Gentoo is for experts only at this point.  (Maybe for
a long time.)  Only install Gentoo if you understand another distro or
two inside and out.  I second Kent's suggestion about starting from
KNOPPIX and doing a hard disk install if you like it.  (But I'm
already known as a KNOPPIX zealot, so pay me no mind.)

By the way, Brian, you asked for a second opinion, so I also say
there's nothing wrong with running ppp (what kppp uses) as root.  It
has to be that way.  Other distributions run it as root too, whether
or not they make you type your root password.

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]