In my opinion Debian is the linux distro that is best.
Granted, I pretty much exclusively use FreeBSD at this
point, from all my linux experiences, Debian holds up as tops.

The main reason is that debian holds to a standard for each relase.
Whereas
red hat (for example) will change the location of a particular
config file from release to release, debian is more stable and
adheres to a standard. Documentation is better too, imo.

Where config files are placed might not matter if you're only using the
gui X interface for management, but it can be a real pain in
the arse if you need to edit them "by hand".

Ed