Certainly nothing wrong with buying a Mac. I rather like OS X. A
very nice 'consumer friendly' alternative I might add.

As a matter of fact I do work in a small store here in Eugene
(ComputerBase) and do build quite a number of machines. I
believe in the products we sell too. We are largely an Intel
shop for one very big reason. Dependability. Intel boards have a
return rate of less than 2%. Intel also backs their stuff with 3
year no hassle warranties with replacements at your doorstep in
a matter of days. Where as some manufacturers have had nearly
100% return rates. Not possible you might think but.. talked to
a client today who used to deal with another shop in Eugene.
After going through 8 boards in only 5 machines he's vowed not
to buy another board of that particular name especially with a
certain chipset. I don't blame him since I've replaced countless
boards from that same manufacturer and many of those were from
the same shop he used to deal with. ComputerBase carried some of
those boards for less than 8 weeks when things started coming
back. Even went through 2 in my sister's machine. One was sound
didn't work, the other one had the parallel port decide to die.
Switched over to Gigabyte and have had greater results. Also,
Via tends to be a pain even with better boards like Asus.

I could go on but I'll spare others the pain. :)

Ciao,
Mr O.