PLAC (portable linux auditing CD, a mini-bootable distro I've ranted
about before on the list) also has some sort of entire-disk duplication
built into it; it is forensics-quality, so I'm sure they've just made a
wrapper around dd, maybe with some checksumming (does dd do this on its
own?) to verify... it might be an easy solution, if you can boot a cd on
your system and have 32megs of ram or moe (most non-ancient systems will
work).  PLAC mounts the booted system's own drive in read-only -- you
can manually override this, or do the PLAC standard of copying to a
network resource (LAN or WAN).

On another note, I don't know if RH8 has given you any problems, but
I've known it to have a few (maybe the updates fixed those?), but I'd be
happy to lend you some v9 CD's to upgrade with, lemme know...

Regards,

   Ben B