Its called tar(tape archive) its your friend. lets say you mount the drive
you want to mirror at /mirrordisk to one big file named /backup/mirror.tar

cd to /mirrordisk then :
tar -cvf . /backup/mirror.tar
you can then compress the tar with
gzip /backup/mirror.tar
(which will turn /backup/mirror.tar to /backup/mirror.tar.gz (or .tgz if you
specify that...)
This ovcourse you will want to do as root...

also... man tar

This is is kind of the old fassioned way, but its extreemly effective, and
isnt so hard or complicated to do.

to restore the files...

assuming that the disk you want to restore to is /restore, and your backup
is /backup/mirror.tar.gz

cd to /restore
tar -xvf /mirror/backup.tar.gz .

Jamie