Yep!, That would be a good idea to exclude those if you were backing up /,
however I was talking about backing up a non running system mounted at
/mirrordisk. If you want to backup the root filesystem (that is, the root
filesystem that is currently in use...) You absolutely would want to exclude
the /proc, /backup, and mounted partitions that are not part of the system
you wish to backup. Most of my systems have other OS's (such as SuSE,
SlackWare, Mandrake, and even windows), so i would exclude those aswell.)
In practical application, I rarely backup my systems, I re-do them rather
often, and usually keep working systems, and re-do one system at time(this
way I have other systems on the disk to look to for config files and
such...) When I backup, I usually just backup /data, and /home/<user>, and
sometimes /etc (for config info...).

Jamie