Evolution and Mutt peacefully co-exist using MailDir; that's what
I use--Most of the time I use mutt for reading mail.  But some of
the time, it's nice to use Evolution for email.

If you want Mozilla mail as well I think you could set up an IMAP
server, which would (theoretically) let you use Mozilla, Mutt and
Evolution at a whim, without having to import or export mail. And
I think kde's mailer would work with an IMAP server too?

Mozilla does not yet support MailDir mailboxes directly as far as
I know; if you want MailDir mailboxes with Mozilla, you'd need to
set up an IMAP server in between.

There are lots of examples of .muttrc configurations; the config-
uration possibilities are endless. Let us know what you want mutt
to do for you, there is probably a way.