Haven't tried wings, but I did fool around with Moonlight Creator for a
bit, but then something happened with some libraries and just launching
it would reset X; I couldn't use it anymore.  I have not tried again
since, but I think it would work again -- I'm now upgraded to RedHat 9
and the very latest nvidia code.  It seems much more stable; mplayer
used to hang my box all the time and it hasn't happened yet...

So, we have so much to cover:
3D:  blender, wings, moonlight3d, povray, ...
2D:  gimp, tuxpaint, dia, xfig, ... (should be separate vector/bitmap?)
video:  mplayer, transcode, avidemux, alevt, ...
sound:  recording, editing, midi?, ...

I've gone ahead and put this much on the following wiki node:

http://wiki.euglug.org/index.php/WrathOfMediaTopics

(which is linked from
http://wiki.euglug.org/index.php/Plan2003Presentations )

So please continue to edit the [WrathOfMediaTopics] node, and maybe the
appropriate collective meetings/presentations/workshops will define
themselves!

regards, ciao

   Ben