http://www.eugenecelebration.com/pdfs/2003PARADEAPP.pdf

Looks like the parade application deadline is Aug 15, but we can start planning our float sooner, acquiring red hats, Bill G. as borg t-shirts, inflatable penguins, and so on today.

Cheers,

Marc

Bob Miller wrote:

As usual, there's a lot of interest in the Eugene Celebration just
after the event.  What is the best time to start organizing for next
year's parade?  July 15th, maybe?

Marc Baber wrote:

Hey, thanks for looking up the poem! And yeah to the idea about marching with the Red Hat Society (if they don't mind and can appreciate our brand of non-conformity). Some of them were, oh, interesting-looking :-)-- I'd walk a mile with them anyday. Maybe we should enter the parade as the "Red Hat Society, Men's Auxilliary?" Cheers, Marc

Bob Miller wrote:

Marc Baber wrote:

It turns out that the "Red Hat Society" in the parade has nothing to do
with Linux, amazingly enough. They are women who have taken a certain poem about "when I am old, I'll wear purple... and outrageous red hats"
to their hearts and celebrate their noncomformity by parading in red
hats. They were cool...

I like that poem:

              When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple
                           By Jenny Joseph

             When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
         with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
        and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.
           I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
         and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
              and run my stick along the public railings
              and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
              I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
            and pick the flowers in other people's gardens
                          and learn to spit.

            You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
               and eat three pounds of sausages at a go
                 or only bread and pickles for a week
 and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

            But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
             and pay our rent and not swear in the street
               and set a good example for the children.
         We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
             But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
          When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

In any case, it would be fun to march in the parade with other
Penguin-heads next year

I agree! Maybe we could even march with the Red Hat Society. (-:

Marc Baber [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Bot Works, Inc. http://www.botworks.com P.O. Box 12057 Phone: 541-485-8446
Eugene, OR 97440 FAX: 541-485-8446