Rob Hudson wrote:

> At work, I leave an SSH session open to my server and run Mutt off the
> server.  Recently, our worksite acquired a firewall that closes inactive
> sessions after 15 minutes.  So if I don't get mail for 15 minutes and
> don't use the terminal, it drops me.

Go to the document root for some web site you control.  Add the
following to the file index.html, anywhere in the <body>.

That will ensure you a steady stream of spam so your ssh connection
never closes. (-:

In a more serious vein, I have the same problem at TiVo, so I wrote
this script, which I called printloop.

        #!/bin/sh
        while sleep 60
        do
            echo -ne '\1'
        done

Right after I log in, I type "printloop &".  You might want to just
stick it into your .login if $SSH_CLIENT matches ORCAS' IP address.

The VT-100 emulator in xterm ignores SOH ('\1') characters, so
it doesn't interfere with on-screen display.

Two caveats: (1) if you scroll up in the xterm window, the SOH
character will scroll you back to the bottom.  (2) You can't terminate
the ssh session anymore by logging out.  You'll either have to kill
printloop before you log out or terminate ssh by typing "~.".

> What I'd like to do is update my .muttrc file and add a clock to the
> status line.  If I 'man muttrc', it tells me I can add "%<fmt>" to my
> "index_format" line to show the current time.  Anyone familiar with
> mutt rc files?  Can I add the %<fmt> to my status_format line?  Any
> other ideas to make activity on my screen to not drop the connection?

The variable is status_format, but it doesn't seem to support %<fmt>.
See the Mutt Manual at /usr/share/doc/mutt*/html/ or at
http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/ .

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]