Maybe ~ followed by ^Z (control-z) is what he is going for here?
To suspend SSH, you need to put a tilde ('~') on a newline before doing
the usual control-Z to suspend the SSH connection (this is protection
for you, so that you can suspend another program running through SSH
without suspending SSH)... then you have to hard-kill the SSH
connection.

regards,

   Ben