In Putty, the option is "Sending of null packet to keep session alive
(seconds between keep alives)"

Below is help info from Putty help doc. Maybe this will help you find an
option in OpenSSH.

Darren

If you find your sessions are closing unexpectedly ('Connection reset by
peer') after they have been idle for a while, you might want to try using
this option.

Some network routers and firewalls need to keep track of all connections
through them. Usually, these firewalls will assume a connection is dead if
no data is transferred in either direction after a certain time interval.
This can cause PuTTY sessions to be unexpectedly closed by the firewall if
no traffic is seen in the session for some time.

The keepalive option ('Seconds between keepalives') allows you to configure
PuTTY to send data through the session at regular intervals, in a way that
does not disrupt the actual terminal session. If you find your firewall is
cutting idle connections off, you can try entering a non-zero value in this
field. The value is measured in seconds; so, for example, if your firewall
cuts connections off after ten minutes then you might want to enter 300
seconds (5 minutes) in the box.

Note that keepalives are not always helpful. They help if you have a
firewall which drops your connection after an idle period; but if the
network between you and the server suffers from breaks in connectivity then
keepalives can actually make things worse. If a session is idle, and
connectivity is temporarily lost between the endpoints, but the connectivity
is restored before either side tries to send anything, then there will be no
problem - neither endpoint will notice that anything was wrong. However, if
one side does send something during the break, it will repeatedly try to
re-send, and eventually give up and abandon the connection. Then when
connectivity is restored, the other side will find that the first side
doesn't believe there is an open connection any more. Keepalives can make
this sort of problem worse, because they increase the probability that PuTTY
will attempt to send data during a break in connectivity. Therefore, you
might find they help connection loss, or you might find they make it worse,
depending on what kind of network problems you have between you and the
server.

Keepalives are only supported in Telnet and SSH; the Rlogin and Raw
protocols offer no way of implementing them.

Note that if you are using SSH1 and the server has a bug that makes it
unable to deal with SSH1 ignore messages, enabling keepalives will have no
effect.