Try typing "dmesg|grep CD" into the command line.  Here's what I get on RH9:

hdc: PHILIPS CDRW3210S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1612, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Last time I checked, tho, the dvd reading was misconfigured, but I don't
think that is evident from the above 2 lines  = )

If you can copy the list on the output from your dmesg|grep... that would be
a handy starting place.  You can grep hd instead of CD to see hard drives,
roughly speaking.

regards,

   Ben

PS - burners usually get mapped to the sd* devices (a,b,c,...)