Very true, but somewhat overblown IMHO.  driverloader came out just after
the (for-pay) NDISwrapper thingy, and is about as good from what I've read.
My own "Centrino" wifi does NOT require either of these, AFAIK -- Centrino
is merely a name for the setup, including a range of hardware options...
I don't know much but I read its definition is limited to some chips on the
mobo, which help do moe useful things in a laptop, like manage CPU and wifi
power levels together.  There are a wide range of wifi chipsets that can be
used, mine has Atheros as I've said, which is better-supported.
The video is NOT though  = (((   I've also not yet been burning CD's or
reading DVD's on the internal drive, under linux.  What I'd *really* like to
see is a) someone rev-eng intel's i810 family, all the way up to i875
chipsets, or b) intel stepping up and releasing their (obviously shameful)
"secrets".  I'm sure they've got maketing reasons to keep their chipset
closed, but at this point it seems their just shaking in fear that the world
will see how crappily it was designed.  I can only hope this is read as a
flame by someone important, and helps b) take place!

cheerio, rantily so,

   Ben

PS - tid's seem to be useless in /. URL's.  Anyone got a clue on that?

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:30:39 -0800
"Darren Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| Timely news on this topic at /.
|
| http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/04/01/26/1148256.shtml

| > |
| > | I'm thinking of getting a SONY Vaio sub-notebook laptop. Any comments
| > | about them or what online store to buy/ not buy them would be greatly
| > | appreciated.
| > |