Ben Barrett wrote:

1. I never realized that 'xkill' could pass the appropriate signals through
a remote Xwindows connection, which in my case was SSH-tunnelled. If anyone
has explored this or knows more, I'm very curious, about the security
implications, for instance; what can you tell me? Example: you log your
buddy into their remote account as they borrow your system momentarily, they
do their stuff, but could easily (accidentally or otherwise) kill anything
on your desktop, or possibly the entire session(?). I know they could close
anything, having physical access, but I feel like I'm not getting the whole
picture.

xkill, like kill, will only allow a user to kill processes that are owned by that user. Still, it's always advisable to use some means of checksumming these utilities and throwing up a red flag if they change (e.g. Tripwire, PIKT, etc...). If your really concerned about it you can chmod 700 /usr/X11R6/bin/xkill and not worry unless the permissions or checksum changes.

2. File handle review: open an editor on a file, suspend that, move the
file or delete it, resume and quit the edit. Does the move or delete hold
onto the previously-opened filehandle, and wait (in the background, as the
mv or rm appear to return true) with its operation queued until the release
from the edit?

Most editors make a working copy in temp so moving the file should work just fine, although exiting the editor (vim for example) and saving the file after a move (or rm) like you describe will give you 2 copies or re-create it.

3. How do you (subjectively) weigh the benefits of a mini-itx system for a
home entertainment PC, versus a mini-P4? Obviously, the P4 sucks more power
and can have far more processing power -- and can also be made nearly as
quiet. The mobo/cpu combo's I'm looking at cost about the same... I'm just
looking for the variety of people's opinions here, offer whatever you care
to.

Can't speak to this one, someone better versed in today's Intel(ish) hardware's probably a much better choice.

Steve