The Nehemiah M10000 has been reported to handle decoding quite
well especially with mplayer. I haven't had a whole lot of time
to play with mine. On the other hand, the Shuttle SS51G is well
below $200 now so building a slightly more powerful system is
going cost you probably not more than another $100.
Shuttle advantage: more flexible component choice and growth
capability.
Via Mini-ITX: Lower power consumption, ability to integrate a
tiny box that makes quite a bit less noise.

Brought to you by someone who has both ;)

Mr O.