On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 08:45:52PM -0801, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:20:03PM -0800, Cory Petkovsek wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:07:01PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > I believe all the BSDs use the Fast File System* (ffs). But that
> > > shouldn't be a problem for want you want to do - at least not from
> > > the BSD side of things. You just need to specify what Type of file
> > > system /home is in your /etc/fstab file. I'd be very surprised if
> > > Linux couldn't mount a FFS partition. see mount(8) and mount_ext2fs(8)
> > > in your version of BSD.
> >
> > FFS is the old name for UFS (the Unix File System), which is the current
> > standard for at least freebsd and solaris.
>
> Um, no.
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Filesystems-HOWTO-9.html#ufs

That's funny, my Freebsd system formated the drive as UFS, not FFS.
Apparently 5.x supports UFS2 in addition to the older UFS1.  No mention
of FFS.

>From "The Complete FreeBSD, 4th edition" Greg Lehey (c) 2003, p190:
"UFS is the UNIX File System.  All [FreeBSD] native disk file systems
are of this type.  Since FreeBSD 5.0 you have a choice of two different
versions, UFS 1 and UFS 2."  (UFS 2 supports >1TB.)

A foot note: "Paradoxically, although BSD may not be called UNIX, its
file system is called the UNIX File System.  The UNIX System Group, the
developers of UNIX System V.4, adopted UFS as the standard file
system for System V and gave it this name.  Previously it was called the
Berkeley Fast File System, or ffs."

Jacob, I find it amusing that you are quoting [old] linux sources and I, BSD
sources.  Our roles are reversed for once.  ;)

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to your