On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 04:54:28PM -0800, Cory Petkovsek wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 08:45:52PM -0801, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > >
> > > FFS is the old name for UFS (the Unix File System), which is the current
> > > standard for at least freebsd and solaris.
> >
> > Um, no.
> >
> > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Filesystems-HOWTO-9.html#ufs
>
> That's funny, my Freebsd system formated the drive as UFS, not FFS.
> Apparently 5.x supports UFS2 in addition to the older UFS1.  No mention
> of FFS.
>
> >From "The Complete FreeBSD, 4th edition" Greg Lehey (c) 2003, p190:
> "UFS is the UNIX File System.  All [FreeBSD] native disk file systems
> are of this type.  Since FreeBSD 5.0 you have a choice of two different
> versions, UFS 1 and UFS 2."  (UFS 2 supports >1TB.)
>
> A foot note: "Paradoxically, although BSD may not be called UNIX, its
> file system is called the UNIX File System.  The UNIX System Group, the
> developers of UNIX System V.4, adopted UFS as the standard file
> system for System V and gave it this name.  Previously it was called the
> Berkeley Fast File System, or ffs."

But SysV is not BSD.

> Jacob, I find it amusing that you are quoting [old] linux sources and I, BSD
> sources.  Our roles are reversed for once.  ;)

Yeah, I found that odd also :)

But, there is also "using the sources", on OpenBSD-current
/usr/src/sys/ufs/{ext2fs,ffs,lfs,mfs,ufs}
and on FreeBSD 4.9
/usr/src/sys/ufs/{ffs,mfs,ufs}
which makes me think FFS is based on UFS.  So, yes it's UFS, with some
additions.

And the softdep stuff is under ufs/ffs, which would lead me to believe
that that is the currently used system.

This goes with what is said at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Fast_File_System

As well, http://sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net/jeroen/faq.html#UFS-DIFF-FFS
(discusses UFS2 differences also)

If "The Linux Documentation Project" has "[old]" documentation currently
available their website ...

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>