Just to close the loop on this thread, here's what I ended up doing
to get my USB mouse working.  All of the changes shown here were made
in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and were essentially the same as Brian sent
in his earlier email.

First, I added a line to my "ServerLayout" section:

   Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Anaconda Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "USB Mice" "AlwaysCore"          # <--- new line here
   EndSection

Now add a section for the new input device:

   Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "USB Mice"
     Driver      "mouse"
     Option      "Protocol"   "IMPS/2"
     Option      "Device"     "/dev/input/mice"
     Option      "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"
     Option      "Buttons"        "5"
   EndSection

It turns out I also had to tweak the declaration for my internal PS/2
trackpoint to use a different device than /dev/input/mice:

   Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Mouse0"
        # Modified by mouseconfig
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"  # <-- tweak
        Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "yes"
   EndSection

Now both of my mice are working and I'm a happy, happy camper.  I'll show
you the new setup when I give my EUG-LUG talk in March.

--
Hal Pomeranz, Founder/CEO      Deer Run Associates      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Network Connectivity and Security, Systems Management, Training