On Monday 28 June 2004 11:39 am, Kenneth Silverman wrote:
> GOD i can't believe all this talk about SCHWAG! maybe you guys are all
> latent potheads! can you imagine what your data strings would look like
> then? ha ha ha!

For the newbies... the original term for Free Stuff Given Away to promote a
computer-related product was "swag," which was (apparently) what hobos called
the collection of stuff in their bag.  The term has apparently been around
for a while because it's used in the Australian song "Waltzing
Matilda" (swagman = itinerant laborer) which was written in the 1890's.

Schome where along the way schome one decided to get cute and shtarted
referring to the computer shtuff as schwag instead of swag.  The term is in
common enough usage that it's likely to suffer a change in definition.  As
has happened in the past with 'cardinal' and 'funky'.

Gawd, I hope this wasn't too pedantic.  Oh well, I took all this time to write
it so I might as well hit 'send'.

Ken
--
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
        -- Henry de Jouvenel, French statesman and journalist