Quoth Bob Miller, on Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:09:37 -0700:

> No.  dd only works if the new filesystem is exactly the same size as
> the old.

Hmmm, the following link suggests dd will copy a smaller drive to a
larger one:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knopx.html

See "Cloning an entire drive".  So, is there a dd solution for me, or
not?  If I can avoid my aforementioned chroot/lilo trick, that would be
cool.  It rather looks like I could copy my entire drive, MBR, Windows
partitions and all, in one swell foop.

Would I then end up with extra drive space that I could repartition, or
what?  Yet, you're speaking of filesystems, not drives.  Evidently dd
does both?  O master, help me to grok dd!

--Jason

--
My new years resolution is 1280x1024.