Hey, that's really smart. Thanks, Bob! I will

Walter, his solution is better than mine. Each cookie is just a line in the text file, so "freezing" it at a known good point just works. No need for text-parsing hacks.

This thread is an example of why this list rocks. One person poses a question, the next answers it, and the next trumps it all with a better answer! Everybody learns something.

-Max

Bob Miller wrote:

Max Lemieux wrote:

<snip my lots-of-work idea>

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for that project, but let me
tell you what I did instead.

cookies.txt is a text file.  Hand edit it so it only contains
the cookies you want to preserve.  Then make it unwriteable.

  $ chmod -w path/to/cookies.txt

If you want to selectively add a cookie later, chmod u+w it,
visit the site with the good cookie, and chmod -w it again.

When I used Mozilla, I had about 10 sites that I wanted to be
automatically logged in to, and I kept cookies for only those sites in
cookies.txt.  When I switched to Firefox, I set the "keep cookies to
end of session" bit instead.