I had tried many Java IDEs before and kept going back to vi. Most of the IDEs were cumbersome - both to use and in memory/CPU consumption. I've been using eclipse for about a year and have to say I'm convinced that it is better than just using an editor (which is a big switch for me). It has great Ant and CVS integration. It does constant code verification looking for potential problems (unused variables, using deprecated methods, etc.) and gives easy to see (and easy to ignore if thats your situation) indicators of the status. It handles inter-project dependencies, manages your classpath, and does constant compiling (efficiently). And once I got a vi plugin I was back in business (the vi plugin is only 50% there, but it is better than having to use a mouse when editing). I still pull up VIM outside of eclipse when I need to do some editing that I know I can do quicker in a real vi tool. Then you refresh and your changes are in eclipse and away you go. For a team I'd say its a must have. Even in my situation, where I'm the primary (er... only) architect/developer, it is still hard to imagine not using it.

Walter.