On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 12:14:37AM -0800, Mr O wrote:
> Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:14:37 -0800 (PST)
> From: Mr O <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Eug-lug] OT -- electric car
> To: Eugene Unix and Gnu/Linux User Group <euglug@euglug.org>
>
> What is the range with the batteries? How much did he pay? I'd
> look at getting a high efficieny panel or just use grid power.
> Use the solar panels for a different project like hot water.

you probably need those panels to extend the ranged of the vehicle
during the day, also it charges from the sun, while your at work. I fear
these vehicles wont work out too well up here.

I talked with someone last summer, and he has successfully converted his
house to solar, and it has paid well. but it took a lot of fanagleing to
make it pay off... stuff like tax incentives, grants, and returning
power to the grid (he gets paid for excess electricity).  He still uss
electricity from the grid, so he isnt completely self sustained. He
worked it all out very well, and i think it took him less than 5 years
to figure it all out, and get it working and paid for. I think he siad
he ends up paying like $50/year to the electric company. In some places
solar works realy really well... but oregon isnt the best for solar, but
clearly, it can work.

Jamie