On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 11:08:12AM -0800, dooger watts wrote:
> Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:08:12 -0800
> From: dooger watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Eugene Unix and Gnu/Linux User Group <euglug@euglug.org>
> Subject: Re: [Eug-lug] OT -- electric car
>
> LinuxRocks! wrote:
>
> >I talked with someone last summer, and he has successfully converted his
> >house to solar, and it has paid well. but it took a lot of fanagleing to
> >make it pay off... stuff like tax incentives, grants, and returning
> >power to the grid (he gets paid for excess electricity).  He still uss
> >electricity from the grid, so he isnt completely self sustained. He
> >worked it all out very well, and i think it took him less than 5 years
> >to figure it all out, and get it working and paid for. I think he siad
> >he ends up paying like $50/year to the electric company. In some places
> >solar works realy really well... but oregon isnt the best for solar, but
> >clearly, it can work.
>
> Hope he did it himself.  Was outraged at the recent green home show, at
> the fairgrounds.  The solar "developers" there were all over about how
> Oregon is perfect for solar--gets more sun than Germany, which is the
> number one solar-powered nation on earth.
>
> But when you got a load of what they charged, your jaw dropped.  These
> dogs wanted more than thirty thousand bux to make your home electric.
> And they had all these gee-whiz graphs and charts to show you how the
> cost of investing in solar would pay for itself in--get this--"TWENTY TO
> THIRTY YEARS."
>
> New technologies are always expensive--but goddam, where do these sharks
> get off?  Originally, solar technology was NOT so over-valued--and
> usually it was a do-it-yourself proposition.
>
> S'pose there's gotta be predators ready to exploit--and we Oregonians,
> with our hipper-than-thou smug, seem ripe for plunder.
>
> Got plans for a solar shower that's made of black ABS pipe.  Total cost
> less than twenty bucks. Remember the ole hippy saw, "people's prices?"

Yeah, infact I think solar heating water is probably pretty easy
compared to generating enough electricity to run a home.

I know someone that made one with a 5 galon clear plastic water
container (cubeish) sitting on top of a black plastic bag on the roof of
his treehouse (and a sweet little tree house it was... had its own tiny
wood stove and 20' deck! anyway I know personally that the shower works
very good in the summer.

I dont remember all the details, but i think he spent about 20k and did
it all himself, and he also did a lot of research and probably worked
every possible angle to make it affordable.

He also had some neet panels mounted on fixtures that kept the panel at
optimal angle (using a very simple device with a photocell, and some
small motors to move the panel to keep the panel facing the sun).
It makes the panel into kind of a mechanical
sunflower, that produces electicity :)

hey? how about hydrogen powered generaters for our homes ?
prolly too expensive right now, but if hydrogen cars were common... and
the fuel was inexpensive enough...

Jamie