Ben Barrett wrote:

    hey? how about hydrogen powered generaters for our homes ?
    prolly too expensive right now, but if hydrogen cars were common... and
    the fuel was inexpensive enough...

There does seem to be an abundance of hydrogen--at least in our end of the universe--but it's mostly locked up in the water molecule. And there's a terrifically strong bond.

(Takes an awful lot of energy to break it). Just wondering if hydrogen won't end up being a dead end; it will cost so much to get to it, it won't just be robbing Peter to pay Paul; it will bankrupt the economy.

And has there ever been a really dependable/affordable fuel cell? All I can read about them, they're fraught with problems and in constant need of maintenance and repair.

Does seem like solar/electric is going to be the only sensibly affordable energy to shoot for.