something like this
http://www.mpb-technologies.ca/mpbt/haptics/hand_controllers/cubic/cubic.html

On 6/15/07, Brian Gallagher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The SpaceNavigator from 3dconnexion was what I was going to buy before I saw
the in-air mouse from Gyration.  I've got a bad feeling about the mouse's
performance for CAD (based on price,) but I got to try.

 I did see this Praying Mantis looking input device (pen mounted to a
parallelogram armature that swiveled on a base) that a guy was using in the
bonus materials of some CGI movie, (Incredibles?) I can't remember.  It
looked one of a kind and very expensive.

On 6/15/07, Bob Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ben Barrett wrote:
>
> > So, Xwindows experts:  Anyone care to comment on how deeply X would have
> > to be re-engineered to handle multiple points of input?
>
> Oooh, ooh, I get to pretend I'm an expert! (-:
>
> X already handles multiple input devices.  At this very moment my
> laptop has a trackpad, a trackpoint, and a USB mouse, and I can use
> any/all of them to push the cursor around.  (When I'm at home, I use
> all those PLUS synergy to push it around from another computer's
> mouse.)
>
> But I think you're asking for multiple cursors.  That's harder.
> There's a deep relationship between the cursor focus and the keyboard
> focus, and if you added more cursors, you'd have to define how
> they all affect keyboard focus.  Among other things.
>
> I've worked with applications that used separate pointer input
> devices, but they didn't access the device through X.  For example,
> AVS (Advanced Visualization System, www.avs.com) could use a Spaceball
> (a 6-axis input device, www.3dconnexion.com) in addition to a mouse.
> The mouse went through X, and the Spaceball always went directly to a
> 3D viewport.
>
> I've seen CAD systems with similar things (mouse plus pen input), and
> I've seen experienced users work them in both hands very productively.
> Sorry, I can't remember the name of the CAD system.  It was an
> integrated HW/SW product from the 1980s.
>
> But those are both specialized apps that bypass X for at least one of
> their inputs.
>
> --

[EMAIL PROTECTED]