Alan Crandall wrote:
I am still a Linux newbie but consider myself well enough versed in installs
to be up to the task.I have been using Mandriva and when 2008 come out
I dled/burned/installed/rebooted/installed the updates.Rebooted ok but I
no longer had the reboot options, just the end session option.OK, just
reinstall but this time just a blank screen :( Ok, I had a copy of Ubuntu
6.10/installed/ran ok/did the update to 7.04/reboot/ran for a
couple of days to get the feel of gnome and then updated to 7.10 via the
updater console.No errors during the install but the same problem after
a reboot, no screen ? Any ideas ? Thanks ! ATI graphics card
Alan,
You say when you reboot you have no screen. Can you elaborate? What is the last thing you see? Do you get the grub boot loader? If so, is that when it goes black? If so, be patient. There is a bug in 7.10 that causes a VERY long,slow boot process, especially if you have a laptop. To verify this is the issue, try hitting ctrl-alt-F1 after you get the black screen. If you see text there, then you should be ok. If this is the issue, let me know. I've got details on fixing it. The fix is very easy, I just don't have the details on hand at the moment. If this is not the issue, more details are needed.

Garl