Have you considered an XBox?  Only the "360 Premium", which I don't know of
an open media-center front-end for, has HDMI, though...

Home Theater HowTo:
http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/howto/linux-htpc/video.html
MythTV-centric distro's:
http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=3

Also, HDMI is just DVI + audio, although I'm just figuring this out, so you
may be able to get DVI from anything into HDMI.

D-Link makes a media player that gets mixed reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882103603
although this thread seems to point out the lack of open-source cooperation
on this device:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-16792.html
(and may also steer you to check out SageTV or Prismiq boxes, see
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.prismiq.com and check ebay...
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?&satitle=prismiq&category0=  :)

These days, I'm betting that you want something to play xvid and divx and
even wmv... is this an installation where a linux diy'er is available,
so that nifty new software could be updated on a mini-itx system?  Or do you
need an embedded device, 100% dummy-proof?
MythTV seems to bridge the gap nicely: put on an IR remote and, voila --
many nice plugins too!

Here is one mini-itx board I found, a Jetway Intel Core2Duo board for $205,
which has HDMI:
http://www.mini-box.com/Jetway-J9F2-KHDE
I found some other references to HDMI output on mini-itx systems, and you
could also consider a [riser &] external card depending on the
footprint/case you desire.

ciao,

ben