> Mike I hope I wasn't implying we ain't on the same page--and your
> mention of fiber reminds me that the city of yu-jeen and eweb announced
> YEARS ago that this was going to happen as a "service to the community."
> Then it just kinda fizzled out.

Because EWEB couldn't figure out how to deliver the service at a price
that would compete with $25/mo Internet service offerings.  The average
consumer doesn't care a great deal about the difference between 1Mbit
and 20Mbit, but they are extremely price sensitive.

The infrastructure gets changed out on a 30-40 year cycle.  Before we
all die, there will be fiber to the MPOE in 95% or more of the
residences in the US, and it will carry whatever the equivalent of our
current voice telephony and TV services will be at that time.  Our
grandkids will think of our current Internet infrastructure with the
same sort of quaint contempt that we currently reserve for the "party
lines" of early commercial phone service offerings.

We're all impatient because we've seen how fast technology has progressed
in other areas, but national infrastructures take a long time to retool.

--
Hal Pomeranz, Founder/CEO      Deer Run Associates      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Network Connectivity and Security, Systems Management, Training