On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Ben Barrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Maybe it was Pioneer co-op:
> http://www.pioneer.net/internet/internet.html
> or Peak DSL on a Pioneer line:
> http://www.peak.org/homesolutions/broadband/pricing.shtml
>
> I found http://www.casco.net/communications/ and
> http://www.blachlylane.coop/
> which are also pertinent :)

Maybe, but I doubt it. It's been 12 years since I lived in the Pioneer
service area, but the co-op board has historically been really thin on
awareness of digital opportunities. Case in point: Pioneer went
digital and replaced all but the last mile with fiber optic nearly a
decade before the rest of Oregon. But it left its toll charge
structure in place that left most rural neighbors incurring a toll
charge to call people who lived within 5 miles.

This was around the time the spotted owl litigation really hit and the
bottom dropped out of the timber industry in western Oregon. Hundreds
upon hundreds of rural homes in the service area were left vacant.
There was Pioneer with what could have become the tech sector
experimental playground for an electronic cottage rural industry and
the board couldn't get their heads out of all that money they were
losing by loss of subscribers. So they raised the toll charges
instead, creating even further disincentives for folks to migrate to
western Oregon to drink deeply from fast digital communications.

They finally felt pressured enough by some of us rabble-rousers to set
up Casco with a couple of other rural utilities. But they stuck with
56K dial-up connections-only so long that they were left in the dust.

Even toward the end of the Pioneer all-copper era, it took me three
years to get them to install a relay so we could get a 52-volt
telephone signal instead of 26. The only thing that saved me in those
days was an old U.S. Robotics 1200-baud modem with tolerances so lout
of whack that it would work somewhat better than half the time with
the 26 volt signal. Even then, I had to pay a toll charge to dial into
a Eugene connection for the Greenpeace Greenlink BBS.

When the Pioneer board finally decided to start allowing ADSL
connections, rather than providing the service themselves they
contracted with Peak. But you had to live within 5 miles or so of a
Pioneer switching center to use the service. That was the state of
things when I moved to the Eugene area around the end of 1995.

So unless there's been some kind of successful co-op member revolution
out in the hills I haven't heard of,  I'd really be surprised to learn
that Pioneer was involved in some radically fast internet service. Too
many people on the board who still yearn for the days when their phone
number was 23-J, the operator's name was Thelma, and the closest thing
to live television entertainment was listening in on the multi-party
telephone line.. :-)

Best regards,

Marbux