And really, if you just need to serve up some HTML or other static
content, you need neither Apache nor Ubuntu =P
(ie, there are a bunch of other web-serving softwares which have lower
overhead, do less, and different names)

TMI?   Apache the webserver software is sometimes called httpd, the
daemon (what a tool!) for serving http requests, so to speak.  It does
far more though, in pre-processing requests to generate dynamic pages
along with engines for PHP, Perl, etc CGI's, than just serving up
static content.  To see some nifty examples of what it can do, search
for the history of attacks possible on [previous versions of] apache's
httpd (and other dynamic web-serving software, dare I compare it to
IIS, mwah haw haw).  The default security for Apache and other has
gotten much better, but some of the tricks that have been pulled on
otherwise-sane-seeming defaults are very clever.

ciao,

Ben