Horst, if you were serious about it, you could write a program to
change the date,
touch the file, and change the date again.  I'd be surprised if the system time
were changed for more than a millisecond.

But yes, that's the best you can do.  The ctime is not supposed to be
user-settable.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the utime() and utimes() system calls.
The latter lets you set a file's atime and mtime with microsecond resolution.
(How much of that resolution is actually stored depends on the filesystem.)

                                        k...@jogger-egg.com