Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:03:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Neil Parker <npar...@lyl.llx.com>
Subject: Re: [Eug-lug] ls script help
...>
timestamps.  "tar", for example, archives only one-second-resolution
timestamps, as twelve-characer octal strings...this is mandated by a POSIX
standard, and for the sake of backward compatibilty is unlikely to change
anytime soon.
Ahh -- Octal ! "twelve-characer octal strings". I used my hex viewer to look at a very simple tar file before posting, but couldn't make sence of it.
Thanks to both Neil and Bob! -- I found this was a really educational thread.