Octal!  Indeed.  I can only guess that it's octal because that makes
the conversion to/from binary slightly simpler.  But it's still not
as simple as you think, because the PDP-11 has a 16 bit word,
and it take 5 1/3 digits to store 16 bits.  The 11-digit octal
number would hold 33 bits, so it was probably stored in
memory as a 32 bit number.  Tar may or may not have preceded
the "long int" type in C, which would have hidden that complexity.

I *think* I recall that tar wasn't in 6th Edition Unix.  It was new with
7th Edition.  Or maybe not.

It's really hard for me to imagine the mindset that would specify
an external format based on saving a couple of instructions
reading and writing it.  And I was there at the time.  Tar was
actually an advance over older formats because it used ASCII
instead of binary fields, thus avoiding endian issues.

                                        k...@jogger-egg.com