For my $.02 I'd generally recommend going the route of separate drive
and enclosure.  Computerbase sells some very nice enclosures that
support USB 2.0 and eSATA.  Mr. O can tell you what the price vs size
sweet spot is right now to drop in it.  I picked up a pair of them for
some SATA RAID testing I was doing and am now using them for backups via
USB.  They work like a charm.  Hopefully sometime in the next few months
I'll set up the eSATA connector on my desktop too so I can do backups
that way.  The speed differences are like night and day.
                        -Mike

Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software. --- Unknown