On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Bob Miller <k...@jogger-egg.com> wrote:

Hi, Bob,

> Lowest: hardware.  Card is seated, cable is good, cable is plugged
> in securely at both ends.  (Have you swapped cables yet?)

Yes.

> Electrical connectivity between the CPU and the NIC.  Run
> "lspci | grep Ether".  Verify you see each installed device.

Only one is showing:

00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

That seems to match the card I added. But no sign of the onboard
ethernet connection.

Since this seems half right, I'll proceed to the next problem area found.

> Drivers.  This was working when you showed that ifconfig sees eth0.
> If you have two cards installed, then "ifconfig -a" should show both.
> If it's not working, try to revert to where you were when it worked.

ifconfig -a agrees; only eth0 and the local loopback.

> IP configuration.  Run ifconfig, verify you have an IP address.  (You
> didn't in the screen shot you showed.)  If you're using DHCP, then
> you need a working DHCP server.  I'm not a Comcast customer, but
> it sounds like the DHCP server should be outside your premises.
> Either look in syslog (/var/log/message or /var/log/daemon.log)
> for DHCP activity.   You should see DHCP DISCOVER followed
> by DHCP OFFER.  If you don't see DISCOVER, your box isn't
> configured to use DHCP.  If you don't see OFFER, either the DHCP
> server can't hear your box, your box can't hear the server, or the
> server is refusing to serve you.  The first two problems indicate
> that your hardware connectivity is bad -- revert to first level.
> The last problem indicates that Comcast sucks.  I'm not a
> Comcast customer, so I don't know what their rules are nor
> how they enforce them.

Neither log shows DHCP DISCOVER or DHCP OFFER.

Quo vadis?

Best regards,

Paul

--