Well, there you go.

I wondered why the NIC was listed so early in the "lspci" output,
but didn't think to pursue that.  lspci usually lists on-motherboard
devices before devices in PCI slots.

There should be no issue running two instances of the 8139too
driver.People run multiple NICs of the same type all the time.

No need to apologize, we're geeks, and we love these puzzles.

Enjoy your Internet! (-:

                                        k...@jogger-egg.com