Gentlemen,
    As fascinating as this discussion is, other than Julie and Larry's
Digital Geiger counter project, the rest of this discussion has little to do
with the core subjects that this list is intended for.  If you wish to
continue, please take the discussion off-list.
             -Mike

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:18 PM, marbux <mar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:51 AM, JS Kaplan <kg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I have set off radiation detectors at Schipol, Newark, Gatwick, and
> > Dulles airports.
> > Big deal. Usually flights crossing the Rockies and those
> > near-circumpolar flights
> > to Europe are exposed to higher radiation than normal. Triggering a
> detector
> > in and of itself is no cause for alarm nor is it indicative of global
> > radiation
> > contamination.
>
> I agree that in isolation such information would not be conclusive
> evidence.
>
> > Then you are aware of the importance of not being an environmental
> > whack job. Having the most reliable data and keeping clear of bandwagon
> > hysteria ploys separates the geeks from the freaks. Scaring the public is
> > a tactic and usually isn't a means to make friends.
>
> The "environmental whack job" you're talking to has won a large number
> of lawsuits involving toxic substances where both human exposure and
> the resulting hazard and injuries were squarely at issue, despite the
> concerted efforts of the best lawyers multinational polluters could
> hire. Which is but to say that I've managed to convince both judges
> and juries that my case was solid.
>
> I also hope that you might agree that false reports of safety are far
> more dangerous than false reports of hazard, since the former tend to
> result in people not taking precautionary measures.
>
> As to your "scare tactic" allegation, so far I haven't said a word
> about the hazard, only explained that Jim's following statement was
> erroneous:
>
> "The amount of radiation you can expect to receive is zero. Anyone who
> tells you that we in the U.S.A. are going to receive any dose at all
> is ignorant of how this works, or is trying to sell advertising."
>
> > What isotope has been released with that kind of half-life?
>
> I guess you haven't been paying close attention to the relevant news
> reports. At Fukushima, reactor plant 3 lost coolant and exposed at
> least the top three meters of its fuel rods to the atmosphere,
> resulting in at least partial fuel rod melting and at least several
> releases of radioactivity. Still unresolved is whether that reactor's
> spent fuel pool also lost coolant. Wikipedia has been doing a pretty
> fair job of keeping up with the situation at that plant.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_I_nuclear_accidents#Reactor_unit_3
> >.
>
> Reactor 3 uses mixed uranium and plutonium oxide (MOX) fuel. It takes
> little study of the partial meltdown situation thus presented to
> comprehend that both uranium-238 and plutonium oxide would be among
> the components of the radioactivity that was released from this plant.
>
> How do you
> > suppose
> > it will hitch a ride across the entire Pacific Ocean

> [...]

Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. -- Richard Feynman