You might check with KUGN or KPNW as they may still have cartoned
Conelrad/EBS era radiation detectors which might be picked up cheap.
They used battery power and d'arsonval movement meters making them
an easy A-D conversion and machine readable. Stream the data to a
database and whip up a web page. That would be
a nice way to interface radiation to Linux.