From: Thomas Green [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 2:41 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Ice

Actually Yosemite isn't the best example;  it's primary purpose is recreational.  The only public property in the U.S.A. where wildlife takes precedence over any human activity are wildlife refuges.  National parks, forests, and monuments may balance the needs of wildlife, but only in refuges are the needs of wildlife protected as the primary rule... and often it takes the endangered species act to promote the concerns for wildlife in other areas.

Even then, a refuge is not absolute protection for all wildlife;  the U.S. government is currently at work trying to find loopholes to allow oil production in wildlife refuges.  When push comes to shove, economic incentives will always win over any protection measures... even if those measures do not make economic sense in the long term.

That being said, I think space is protected by international treaty from economic exploitation (despite propaganda from private industry).  Then again, Antarctica on earth is also supposed to be protected by international treaty, but many countries like Australia lay claim to it.

The best defense europan life will have against humanity is to not have any economic value; at least not until humanity reaches a level of maturity that pursues knowledge and art over material wealth.  I'm not holding my breath for this to happen.

"William P. Niedringhaus" wrote:

If Europa has life, we should not open it to private corporations.
It should be protected, as we protect Yosemite here.