In a message dated 4/3/2001 9:21:25 AM Alaskan Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The fact that we can feel remorse for the lossof the
species might be a sign ofa more mature attitude as a
species.

I will grant you this:  in the middle of an impending energy crises, and with
1000s of Alaskans wholeheartedly in support of opening ANWR to oil
exploration, there remains a majority of Americans who would rather that ANWR
be left as a caribou calving grounds.
And yet... outside of the Western world, ecology is seen as a Western scheme
to keep the 3d World down.  So, forests are logged, oil is sucked up and
spilled, and various animals are wiped out for one reason or another.
If life were discovered on Europa, would the vast majority of the world truly
support preserving it in its pristine form, or would most rather develop it,
and partake of the riches?
Is such a question pointless, years before any such life is discovered, if at
all?  I don't think so:  this group, the Europa website, and other planetary
exploration societies, are now laying the groundwork -- the technological and
idealogical groundwork -- for decades to come.  Will we, can we, supply the
philosophical groundwork of non-tampering as well?
Personally, I must admit that I am in favor of space develoment, as a Deus Ex
Machina to solve many of humanity's current population and social problems,
over the next century.  But, concurrent with that desire is a profound hope
that humanity will be able to rise there as a more mature species, to rise
above our simian hardwiring, and become a caretaker species, for ourselves,
and for any biota which we may discover.
Understand:  even if Mars and Europa ARE 100% sterile, there will come a time
when we DO discover some form of extraterrestial life, probably microbes.
Life is simply too inevitable.  Chemicals make RNA, RNA makes microbes,
microbes make unicellular biota, which makes an opportunity, and a
responsibility.

Commentary?

-- John Harlow Byrne