In a message dated 11/28/2001 11:45:11 AM Alaskan Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

OK, I've thought about our current "situation" (recall we may lose
all near-future outer solar system projects), consulted with a few
wise colleagues, and I think the best course of action is to support
everything proposed.  Yep, Pluto probes, Europa orbiters, and even
the ISS.  We're idiots to think the money saved by killing off our
perceived lemons will somehow result in more money better spent on
our favorites.  The government will just use the savings elsewhere,
like on a new highway, or more bombs for you-know-where.

So, I support it all.  And, I urge you to do the same, and soon.
Write to your Congressional reps. and tell them that all these
projects are the best ever, and you don't want to see any of them
cancelled.  Anything space-related is good (of course, some are more
gooder than others, wink, wink).

Quit being a damned beggar.  You can't be the only person interested in space technology:  I'd warrant there are millions out there.  Now, with the internet, you can reach them.  Start a non-profit.  Collect a $10 donation from every space geek out there.  When you have a nice pile of money, find some off-the-shelf technology and send up your own rocket.  Hell, if Robert Clements can figure out how to do it, so can you.
Understand:  the government sent a man to the moon over THIRTY years ago.  They've done nothing significant since, other than a few unmanned space probes.  (Yes, yes, probes are more efficient, etc... but for mass support you gotta send up heroes).  If you rely on the government to support space welfare, you'll still be going nowhere in 20 years time.
We have the launch tech.  We have the mass communication media necessary for funding.  We have a global pool of technicians who could conceivably contribute.  The question is, do we have the guts to go forward WITHOUT a government handout?

-- JHB