  1) Re: Mileage Metric? Re: Some basic questions
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: AC motor Q's
        by Edward Kellogg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) A bit OT - Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper
 for the CHP
        by Dee Dreslough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by Michael Hurley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: nicad question
  6) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
  7) Re: Specs on SW192 contactors
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: nicad question
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Better  Mileage Metric? Re: Some basic questions
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: nicad question
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) EDTA Conference Article is online
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Flywheel clocking - Melaxis sensor from Digi-key
        by "Philip Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re Nicad question - buddy pair
        by "Dodson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Magnecharger replacing
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: OT re: EV taglines
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Flywheel clocking - Melaxis sensor from Digi-key
        by brian baumel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Hose for vacuum system
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: OT re: EV taglines
        by Dee Dreslough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: OCC to build world's first Lithium-powered Chopper for the CHP
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Hose for vacuum system
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Hose for vacuum system
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Hose for vacuum system
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Better  Mileage Metric? Re: Some basic questions
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Link to Robert Lange's Chopper
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: regen...
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: OT re: EV taglines
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Hose for vacuum system
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
It assumes a regular gas car, you'd need refinement for hybrids and
diesels, so it sounds like you got the basic idea. Gas mileage has
more to do with the size, weight, and aero of a car than the engine
size -- you'll notice different engines don't change the gas mileage
much. Indeed, sometimes the bigger engine will get better gas
mileage. So that's a long winded way to say gas mileage is pretty
good for estimating how efficient a car is. Kudos to Bill Dube for
thinking up this elegant metric.

YMMV, of course you'll find some people that get better range, and
some worse, than this predicts. Just like gas cars, some people get
better, and some way less, than the EPA estimates. This too can be
good info, if you get well below EPA estimates your commute (stop and
go) or style of driving (binary gas pedal, on or off) will tend to
make an electric car have less range, too, but the metric reflects
this via the lower gas mileage numbers.

I can think of one exception: If you only drive the gasser a mile at
a time, it'll get really lousy gas mileage because it doesn't get
warmed up for most of its driving. Then the EV would have better
range than the metric predicts.

--- Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Dymaxion wrote:
> > Just parroting others here, for range figure about 300 Wh per
> Optima
> > or Orbital, and between 150 Wh/mile (optimistic) and 250 Wh/mile
> > (more realistic). I like Bill Dube's metric, take the car's
> original
> > gas mileage and figure that's about how many miles about 1000
> pounds
> > of lead acid batteries will take you. YMMV. :)
>
> So, a 20 mpg car would go 20 miles per 1000 lbs of lead?
> A smaller 35 mpg car might go 35 miles?
> An Insight (70 mpg) may travel 70 miles?
> .oO( or is the 70mpg insight a 'special case' ? )

=====

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Have you seen this one? I looked into it for a competition, but we are limited to 36 V and this is 48 V. I have heard, but not confirmed, that this is the place that does the windings for AC propulsion.

"The Powerhouse"  3-Phase AC Drive System for Golf Cars and N.E.V.'s

18 Horsepower and 81                          Foot Pounds of Torque
6000 RPM Motor
25 MPH without Gear Change
UP TO 100 MILES PER CHARGE
Full Regenerative Braking to zero speed
Higher Torque, Lower Power Consumption
Fits Club-Car, EZ-Go, Yamaha, Columbia Par-Car,
Or any Graziano or Dana-Spicer Differential
No brushes or commutator
Golf/Street mode switch
Zero to 20 MPH in under 5 seconds! Hi Performance Golf Cars
http://www.hiperformancegolfcars.com/images/Image1.gif
Address:
1551 So. Vineyard Avenue

City:
Ontario
State: California
Zip: 91761
Country: USA

Phone:
909-923-1973
Fax:
Toll Free: 800-340-7107

Ed Kellogg

        e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Chat…    eckellogg138 (AIM)
        ICQ             243051412

Sit vis vobiscum.
On Jan 23, 2005, at 12:43 PM, David Chapman wrote:

Good post Richard, I would also value a refresher. I am looking to source an AC motor myself and could use some input. I am trying to find an AC motor rated for 1.25-1.5 HP continuous, approx 1700 rpm, can be (probably should be) open framed for weight and for cooling but should be somewhat moisture resistant, and as efficient and small as posible. Also cost is a factor. I know I need to strike a balance between size, efficiency, and cost requirements. I could use some help narrowing down the path somewhat. It can be multi phase if that would help on the size/efficiency. And from a cost standpoint it will pretty much have to be something already commercially produced and not "hi tech" or limited production. There are just so many motor types (induction, wound rotor, pm?) out there that its hard for me to seperate the forrest from the trees.

David Chapman
Arizona Electropulsion / Fine-Junque
http://stores.ebay.com/theworldoffinejunque

<Snipped for brevity>

I'm trying to recall Lee's posts about rewinding
AC motors, and how much power you can actually get
out of them.

If I'm remembering correctly, by reconnecting the 4 sets
of stator windings in parallel rather than series, I can
drop the voltage requirements by a factor of 4.
So a 600V inverter becomes a slightly safer 150V inverter...
Obviously the current goes up by a factor of 4.

By running the motor twice as fast, ( 2900 rpm, from an
inverter output of 100 Hz 3 phase), I can get 2x nameplate
HP out.  So now I'm at 15 HP output - getting pretty interesting!

I seem to remember Lee having another trick to double
the power again, but can't remember what it is.
Can you remind me Lee?
Thanks!

Richard Bebbington
electric Mini pickup

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- All this talk of choppers for the CHP, and I kept asking myself: How are they going to get the dang thing to fly? It'll be so *heavy*, even with the best batteries in it...! And what's this about the front wheel flopping over? Helicopters could use rails to land on instead, couldn't they...?

And what's all this talk about motorcycles? Hasn't the crew making this thing ever made a helicopter...this really doesn't sound like a good idea... And then I started getting excited about the idea of a small 'motorcycle sized' recumbent-seat helicopter, and maybe if motorcycle enthusiasts could make one, I could too...and then it dawned on me...

D'OH!

-Dee (who finally has realized that "Chopper" also refers to a type of motorcycle. :) )

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.302 / Virus Database: 265.7.2 - Release Date: 1/21/2005

At 9:44 PM -0800 on 1/23/05, Reverend Gadget wrote:

Have you stepped back to notice that choppers look
more like a feet forward design (feet forward, low cg,
low seat, semi recumbant position, and a long
wheelbase) than a regular bike? all the bike needs is
a fairing.

And a seat back. And probably a secondary steering head. Every extreme chopper I've ever seen has the rider hunched way over to reach the bars way out in front. (Ghawd, that's gotta hurt to ride!). Part of the point of the FF layout is to reduce stress on the upper body and increase rider comfort. According to the guys who've built FFs, the seat back locating the rider helps both the ergonomics and the safety (you stay inside the vehicle in a crash rather than flying through the air).
--

Auf wiedersehen!

  "..No."

-Real Genius
From: James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Flywheel clocking
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:56:11 +1100

At 05:55 PM 23/01/05 -0800, you wrote:
does anyone have opinions on using either an optical
or magnetic sensor for clocking a flywheel? I have an
optical setup almost complete but am having second
thoughts. the bell housing is pretty much sealed. am I
over looking something that may cause a problem in the
future? does anyone have a suggestion of the best
adhesive to attach the mirror or magnet to the fly
wheel? I'm currently think of using JBweld.....

Thanks,
BCB
Hi Brian (and all)

What the [EMAIL PROTECTED] is all this about magnets and gluing bits on that people keep bringing up. Have your flywheel machined with some slots in it, buy an industrial proximity switch and hook it up.

Rally cars use them to count the inside ends of wheelstuds, they can take the speed and the hammering from that. High pressure immersion, fully sealed.

They put out full voltage pulses, no amplifiers needed.

You can easily get aluminium detecting units (like I have) if you are going clutchless with an aluminium adaptor. Mine is a normal steel type that works with aluminium at half the distance.

There are dozens of manufacturers, Omron, Allen-Bradley, Peperl and Fuchs, Sick and many more. The only reason NOT to use one if you are using an unmodified flywheel and are counting the ring gear teeth, since the target minimum width and space minimum width come into it.

I admit I'm biased - working with industrial equipment on a daily basis makes me expect reliability, simplicity and ease of use on things that I get to specify. You can do it cheaper, depending on what your time is worth, or if you are willing to compromise on potential reliability.

James Massey
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia

>If there is a reason to not charge "flooded" NiCads in parallel, please let
>me know.

I ran one test on four buddy pairs in a string.  They seem to divide both
charge and discharge current very evenly.  However I only charged to 1.45
volts per cell and charge/discharge current were both under 10 amps.  So I
don’t know if there are any problems at higher current or at end of charge.
Jerald

Alan Batie wrote:

> I'm curious if the PFC-30 could replace the magnecharger in the S10 EV's, or
> if
> at the very least, you can chop off the paddle and replace it with a plug of
> the
> appropriate type?  If I have to use the magnecharger, the only place I'd be
> able
> to charge it would be at home.

The Magnecharger paddle is really half of a transformer. The other half
is in the receptacle in the car. There is no practical way to modify one
to use a conductive plug.

You can use a PFC-30 as a separate charger, but would have to wire it
directly to the batteries. Also, your EV's "fuel gauge" might not
correctly indicate the charge put in by the PFC-30. Many of the auto
company produced EVs have thoroughly tangled the charger, controller,
batteries, and motor systems all together. These systems behave
unpredictably to "foreign" systems being added.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Lock Hughes wrote:
> Some on the EVDL might see this following tag as OT, and others may
> see it as very germane to EV development... I don't know: I miss
> that old tagging business. It'd be fun and useful (in an EV promo
> sorta way) to have some EV tags...

So do I. I used to use Prodigy, and their Mail Manager included this
feature. I had a dozen or so different taglines, and it randomly
selected one for each email. Or, I could pick on that was more
appropriate for the subject.

I think taglines can provide little nuggets of information; a useful
tip, thoughtful commentary, humor, relevant quotes, etc. I'd certainly
use a feature that let me insert different ones in each email again!

But, if mine bother people, I can take mine out.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

this sounds like the best option. I can just use the
teeth on the flywheel rather than taking the
controller, motor and then the fly wheel off to drill
holes for magnets. I believe I may already have a hall
effect sensor laying around somewhere. thank you for
your input!

BCB

--- Philip Marino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> normal steel type that
> >works with aluminium at half the distance.
> >
> >There are dozens of manufacturers, Omron,
> Allen-Bradley, Peperl and Fuchs,
> >Sick and many more. The only reason NOT to use one
> if you are using an
> >unmodified flywheel and are counting the ring gear
> teeth, since the target
> >minimum width and space minimum width come into it.
> >
> >I admit I'm biased - working with industrial
> equipment on a daily basis
> >makes me expect reliability, simplicity and ease of
> use on things that I
> >get to specify. You can do it cheaper, depending on
> what your time is
> >worth, or if you are willing to compromise on
> potential reliability.
> >
> >James Massey
> >Launceston, Tasmania, Australia

> Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer

I just tested my vacuum system yesterday it works great, but the vacuum pump
cycles too long. I am pretty sure the vacuum pump is having to work harder,
because I am using heater hose to connect from the pump (in the back of the
car) up to the brake booster and it collapses a little bit.  Can anyone
suggest a more rigid hose that will not collapse?  Maybe a hose that I can
heat bend to form it around corners?

thanks
Don

Victoria, BC, Canada

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

Lock Hughes wrote:

Some on the EVDL might see this following tag as OT, and others may
see it as very germane to EV development... I don't know: I miss
that old tagging business. It'd be fun and useful (in an EV promo
sorta way) to have some EV tags...

Mozilla Thunderbird has this feature - it's an extension called Tagzilla
http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/extensions/#tagzilla
I found migrating away from IE to Thunderbird was pretty easy, too. Great filtering, message handling, etc.

-Dee (who does not work for Mozilla but wishes she did. ;) )
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.302 / Virus Database: 265.7.3 - Release Date: 1/24/2005

Gadget stated:

One of the things that I learned while building the
BIG chopper is how to correct this problem. we built
the neck with less rake than the forks themselves.
this stops the "flopping" problem.

I guess you dated me here. All my experiences have been in older days with raked necks. I admit that by using custom triple trees that kick out the bottom tree more you reduce trail and therefore reduce the flop. I haven't riden one of the modern choppers but I kave a real hard time imaginining them taking on a crotch rocket through the twisties. I will stand by my statement that style is of more importance than handling. Form over function. I see4 nothing wrong with this as I view choppers as an american art form just as hot rods are. We in the US is the world's leader in mobile art. I know you are very aware of "Burning Man" being a participant.

He further stated:

Have you stepped back to notice that choppers look
more like a feet forward design (feet forward, low cg,
low seat, semi recumbant position, and a long
wheelbase) than a regular bike? all the bike needs is
a fairing.

I am aware of this look. I totally agree that the longer wheelbase does afford more room for batteries down low as well as the seating position. In my opinion one of the most beautiful small chopped motorcycles presently is one built by Robert Lange of California. Here is a picture from the Megawatt Motorworks site. http://www.megawattmotorworks.com/photos.asp What makes this bike special is that Robert was able to think outside the traditional tube frame and still have the look of a chopper.

Roderick Wilde

"Heck with thinking outside the box, Rather think within the bounds of a limitless universe."

Plastic pneumatic pipe?   The industrial kind.  I think it's made of
nylon and is semi-rigid.  It seems pretty close to the original
"manifold to brake booster" connection.

Regards
Evan.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:19:52 -0800, Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just tested my vacuum system yesterday it works great, but the vacuum pump
> cycles too long. I am pretty sure the vacuum pump is having to work harder,
> because I am using heater hose to connect from the pump (in the back of the
> car) up to the brake booster and it collapses a little bit.  Can anyone
> suggest a more rigid hose that will not collapse?  Maybe a hose that I can
> heat bend to form it around corners?
>
> thanks
> Don
>
> Victoria, BC, Canada
>
> See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
> www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

PFA Teflon line resists elements, chemical resistant
and will not collapse with the minor vacuum your
pulling. And it comes in a variety of sizes. IF you
are running from rear of car to brake booster I
recommend at least a 1/2" O.D. It can be heated with a
heat gun to form around corners. But it is flexible
enough not to need to be formed. Just tie wrap it in
place. I use it at work  for virtually everything from
Vacuum, Nitrogen, Sulfuric Chemical flow and heated
solvents 100 degree C flow.
The other though would be Copper or Stainless Steel
but they would be harder and heavier to work with. But
they can be bent without heat as well. Avoid Polypro
or plain plastic tubing as the element will attack the
material.

--- Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just tested my vacuum system yesterday it works
> great, but the vacuum pump
> cycles too long. I am pretty sure the vacuum pump is
> having to work harder,
> because I am using heater hose to connect from the
> pump (in the back of the
> car) up to the brake booster and it collapses a
> little bit.  Can anyone
> suggest a more rigid hose that will not collapse?
> Maybe a hose that I can
> heat bend to form it around corners?
>
> thanks
> Don
>

> Victoria, BC, Canada
>
> See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
> www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

hi
if you need to reduce compression under vacuum to a
minimum use copper pipe with a few inches of hose at
either end
cheap and easy to bend pipe like central heating
microbore 10mm would work fine (i've done this before)
use a plumbers former type  pipe bender to make bends
or the install will look dreadful (bent mine first by
hand without formers and it looked like it was fitted
by a 16 yr old aprentice plumber)
if you can get the ends swaged do so but the one i did
stayed on for years with just good jubilee clips

regards
richard

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

>  30% batt weight = 20-40 mile,
>  40% = 30-60 miles
>  50% = 45-100 miles

these numbers look good to me

.
>       Driving 20% slower gets you about 30-50% more
> range above 45 mph.

talking about range without talking about the speed is like talking about
power with out both amps and volts
" how much power can I get for 60 volts ?:-) "  The problem is the distance
goes up as the speed goes down but by how much , It still amzes me how far I
really can go it i slow down , . Even my big ford ranger with just 20 golf
cart batteries did the 76 mile run at the sunday challange years ago with
less that 30% batteries .

>       Thus from a cost, range, performance standpoint
> a light, aero, optimized  EV is going to be a much
> better idea.

and why I lust after small light bodies

I was thinking this might make a funny cartoon ,

Electric car passing gas.

 couple in a SUV behind a EV ( cord out the gas tank) at a red light . Lady
" Is that electric car farting at us ! their idea of natural has gone to
far" EV want to be hubbe " no dear that's the electric vacuum  pump, "
Steve Clunn

>       Needless to say, YMMV!!!
>               HTH's,
>                  jerry dycus

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hi All, I was just informed that the link didn't work. Go to the Megawatt Motorworks: http://www.megawattmotorworks.com Click on photos on the top bar then click on Vegas 2002. Second line up from bottom, third photo over.

Rod Hower wrote:
> Plug braking reveres the field on a series motor and
> applies a VERY low duty cycle while producing very
> high currents that circulate in the armature, which is
> basically a big resistor (kind of like a mechanical
> brake burning up heat)  Perhaps it's the really high
> current pulses during plugging that do damage to the
> brushes.

I think you hit on the basic reason. Braking force is proportional to
the power being generated by the motor. In plug braking, the controller
applies field current to generate high-current and low-voltage at the
armature. The high current causes higher brush wear. Plus, all the power
generated is burned up in the motor (and freewheel diode in the
controller). This adds heat to the motor, which can't help life either.

In normal regen, you apply field current to generate low-current and
high-voltage in the armature. This produces a lot less heat and wear in
the motor (assuming the motor has interpoles or brushes timed so the
voltage doesn't cause arcing problems).

But, there's a complication. Many series motor regen circuits actually
set the controller up as a boost converter. In this case, it is still
running the motor at high-current and low-voltage, and boosting it with
the controller to the low-current high-voltage needed for battery
charging. The result is that the real motor current and voltage will be
somewhere in-between plug braking and regen.
has!" -- Margaret Mead
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

> But, if mine bother people, I can take mine out.
> -
I hope not , I think i read them everytime I read your post , and I read all
your post , so repeating them in my mind helps counter all the none EV'er
stuff like " you can't change the world " or " one person can't make a
difference" . As an EV'er in a non EV world , I have to say I was a little
shook when ring the bell that still can ring , disappered , but I am now
happy with your new one .
Steve Clunn

> "Never doubt what a small group of thoughtless ,selfish
 citizens can do to the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever
realy messed thing up "

> --
> Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

All good pipe solutions indeed but-

I know this may sound obvious but just mount the vacuum nearer the reservoir!!
There's always a way.

Steve

richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
hi
if you need to reduce compression under vacuum to a
minimum use copper pipe with a few inches of hose at
either end
cheap and easy to bend pipe like central heating
microbore 10mm would work fine (i've done this before)
use a plumbers former type pipe bender to make bends
or the install will look dreadful (bent mine first by
hand without formers and it looked like it was fitted
by a 16 yr old aprentice plumber)
if you can get the ends swaged do so but the one i did
stayed on for years with just good jubilee clips

regards
richard

--- Bruce Weisenberger