  1) Re: AC Motors and Reverse
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) AC Motors and Reverse and the Dragstrip
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Electravan lives.  My fourth Factory EV
  4) Re: White Zombie Range
        by Tim Clevenger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: building your own batteries
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: AC Motors and Reverse and the Dragstrip
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Maniac Mazda more Street than White Zombie? OT: Zombie Range
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Solectria / Sunrise was AC Motors and Reverse
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Maniac Mazda more Street than White Zombie? OT: Zombie Range
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) 1970s cars, was Re: White Zombie Range
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: 1970s cars, was Re: White Zombie Range
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: 1970s cars, was Re: White Zombie Range
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: building your own batteries
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: AC Motors and Reverse and the Dragstrip
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Smart EV
        by "James F. Jarrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Any news or updates?
        by Jessica & Donald Jansen & Crabtree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: building your own batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: building your own batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: AC Motors and Reverse
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: AC Motors and Reverse
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: 42-volt starting batteries
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Smart EV
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: What are the upper voltage limits of DC motors?
        by Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: 1970s cars, was Re: White Zombie Range
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Lester unfair to 12v battery.
 27) Re: 1970s cars, was Re: White Zombie Range
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: 1970s cars, was Re: White Zombie Range
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Lester unfair to 12v battery.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 30) Re: What are the upper voltage limits of DC motors?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- 200 battery amps, I am pretty sure, but you are running 300V, so it is possible that it is 200 motor amps. But I believe you have stated the 200A as from the battery before. The Force was half the voltage with a similar battery current limit. Battery current has little to do with motor current. That Force had a low (200?250?) battery amp limit so the batteries would live. But with a 600A DMOC the motor amps were high so it would have good acceleration. That's 600A peak not RMS, by the way.

Seth

On Feb 11, 2005, at 10:56 PM, Chris Zach wrote:

Yes. But you may want at least two speeds forward anyways, as an AC motor with a single speed cannot emulate the flexibility of a multispeed transmission. It can get fairly close, but the tradeoff is needing a higher current rated inverter. Which is expensive. A Solectria AC20Gtx equipped Force with a 600A DMOC (controller) is much more satisfactory in climbing steep grades and keeping up with traffic than a 400A DMOC. EVermont has one. I haven't driven it but have heard how nice it is.

Um? The Dolphin is rated at 200amps peak and runs very fine from zero up to 80mph. While true it's not a great idea to take the system above 80 much (due to possible overspeed) it will go to 100mph with no problems.

Lack of gears is nice. Smooth ride overall.

Oh and yes: It does run backwards with no problem. Even will regen backwards if you're really bored (tried it; works fine). The controller however will limit power in reverse for you.

--- Begin Message --- All that fancy software does things like commutation, getting your peak torque, and getting your efficiency. Reverse is free. For that matter, software is amortized, but as you sell more units, the cost keeps going towards zero as there is no material cost.

The controllers are pretty general purpose. In hardware they are similar. That software specific to the motor they drive is what gets the job done.

Siemens is the only inverter that I am aware of that has a charger built in.

Personally, I think that the ability of an AC drive to hold a higher power longer than series wound motor would make it very competitive in a drag race. And no brushes to flash over. Figuring out how to get it to work at very high currents, assuming that the motor properties change drastically at high currents (I have been scolded for saying it saturates, but it does change) would be a challenge that would require a dyno to develop. I think about a nice 150-200 lb motor and a 900-1200V battery pack would be very exciting, with a base speed out around 6000 rpm. Let it rev to 8-9000 rpm on a 215 frame motor. At 300 battery amps. Or a 600V pack with field weakening on the top end and 400-500 battery amps. Hardware for a 900V bus at 300A is more or less available now. You can series string much smaller batteries if the peak currents are only 300-500A. What does a 13Ah or 16Ah Hawker weigh? Or sprial wound film batteries like Bolder batteries? Drag racing is about batteries and constant full power from the tree to the far end. Series wound can deliver the power off the line and out a long ways, but correct me if I am wrong, you do eventually hit a wall. With the right parts, I think you can do the same or a bit better with AC. And you can probably be competitive with a bus of only 336V. And carry a light pack, *so light* that you HAVE to regen to a stop so you have enough energy to drive back to the pits.

I don't like HV DC. But if I wanted to go after records, that is what I would do. 1700V, 1000A IGBTs are amazing things.

I don't make AC traction controllers or program them for a living. This is opinion. But I used to work with them a lot.

Seth

From: "Seth Allen"

You can run about any voltage you want.
The downside is making a inexpensive controller,

Is it an impossibility to have a Zilla type AC controller
that would work with any AC motor?

I've always felt the reason for the expense and complexity
of AC controllers was because they made them "too fancy"
(lots of software control) and also they tried to get the AC
controllers to do everything imaginable.  Regen, built in
charger, blah, blah, blah.

Has there ever been a general purpose AC controller?

If I ever had a AC setup, I'd want a Zilla type controller
for the motor.  I don't want to mess with regen.  I've got a
transmission for reverse.  I don't mind the charger being
seperate.

What type of potential does an AC setup have in the 1/4 mile
enviroment vs DC?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have had a Think Neighbor, Lectra motorcycle, Vego scooter & now a Factory put together, never had a gas motor Jet Electravan 750. Your basic Ford Courier bought by Ford from Mazda. Sold to Jet as a glider. It drives a little differently than my other EV's. It is a bit choppy at the low end. SCR controller (an EV1) very audible. Low shift points and I have to shift up on hills to 2nd to get more speed. It got on the Freeway suprisingly well. It did register 50% after 5 miles of San Francisco driving. It bounced back to 70% SOC. By the time I had done an 11 mile round trip it was down to 40%. Should bounce back but the batteries are new US 125's. It has an AC Volt meter(that just sits on 115v what does that mean?) an Ammeter that has a redline at 150 amps. Flooring it is the only way to draw 150 amps. At 50 mph it draws 100 amps. It drives a lot like my old Datsun 1968 1300 Station Wagon Gas Car.. About the same shift points. Very simple. Steers stright. I didn't do a thing to her except put batteries in.(well I did derust the throttle linkage, Connect the back lights ground wire.and a few more tidbits but now much) I put in a Trojan TM24 85 amp instead of a larger 90 amp unit. The same size battery is 105 ah now instead of 90. The Lester charges both batteries. I'm wondering if I can stop charging when both ammmeters register 1 amp. I got the pack down to 1 amp on the first charge but the 12v battery was still drawing 5 amps at that point. I hope it won't hurt to float the pack while the 12v is comming up to charge. If there are any other Jet drivers out there with the orginal setup please comment. This vehicle only has 2400 miles on it. No wonder it fired right up. Lawrence Rhodes.......

Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
415-821-3519

Hi John,

I love it.  I'd love to do something like that as my "station car."  I'd only
need 20 miles range,
tops (usually much less), but since I work at the offices of a publisher of
several well-known car
magazine (including two featuring your vehicles), I'd want something pretty
hot, both in looks and
where the rubber meets the road.

I'm thinking about something small, very light, rear drive, maybe even direct
driven, that would
look great with the right "look."  Obviously the 1200's are hard to come by
nowadays.  Can you
recommend another car in the same league?  I had a '77 Corolla that would fit
most of the bill,
but I don't know if it would have the right "look".

Thanks.

Tim

---------
> Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 06:28:00 -0800
> From: John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
> Subject: White Zombie Range
>

> I've never run White Zombie at 288V before, so something's funky about
> whatever you found.
>
> I went to the page you referenced:
>
> <http://datsun1200.com/modules/nsections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=69>

I believe I've read that dry-charging is less common now for environmental
reasons.  Once the mfg charged the battery, the electrolyte was drained and
(allegedly) discarded!  Then fresh electrolyte was used when the battery was
filled at the dealer.

The last motorcycle battery I bought for AV acc battery use (several years
ago) was dry charged.  It was also made in Taiwan.  These days most MC
batteries  that I see in the stores seem to come from China, where (from
what I've read) environmental requirements, such as they are, are often
addressed mostly with cash.

1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea rider 36vdc
Americans are satisfied with things because they are large; and
if not large, they must have cost a great deal of money.

                            -- Lepel Henry Griffin, ca. 1885

On 11 Feb 2005 at 23:43, Seth Allen wrote:

> Siemens is the only inverter that I am aware of that has a charger
> built in.

Doesn't AC Propulsion's?

> I think about a  nice 150-200 lb motor and a
> 900-1200V battery pack would be very exciting ...

Especially if you got some ground faults. <g>

1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea rider 36vdc
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

                               -- Emma Goldman