  1) Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "Raymond Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: 1970s cars
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  3) Re: Smart EV
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) Re: Any news or updates?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) Re: 1970s cars for conversion?
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Smart EV
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "David Chapman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Peltier car cooling
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: What are the upper voltage limits of DC motors?
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Lithium Ion battery breakthrough: 3X power + recharge in minut
 13) Re: What are the upper voltage limits of DC motors?
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Small Prestolite Pump Motor and over voltage questions
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: 1970s cars
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) (no subject)
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: 1970s cars
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re:
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: 42-volt starting batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Maniac Mazda more Street than White Zombie? OT: Zombie Range
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: 1970s cars
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: 1970s Cars
I will try and make a long story short. Currently I have a customer using
12volt Prestolite pump motors, specifically MMY-6101, made for Fenner,
Waltco, Maxom Lift. The only new motors we can get are off shore, Chinese
units, even Fenner is supplying these now. They come with the brush holder
that screws in three places into the side of the barrel. We are running the
motors on 84 volts and melting the brush holders. The motors are engaged for
one second, off for a second, engaged for a second, off for a second, i.e.
tapping a button. So here are some questions I have for you that have more
expertise than I (yes some butt kissing)
1.) Do the original Prestolite motors have the brush holders attached to the
com. end plate? Bad question for a Prestolite SD to ask I know. The smaller
Fenner pumps have this, and I think the older true Prestolites do as well,
but I haven't seen one in three years. Having the heavier brush holder with
thicker insulators should eliminate the arcing and melting of the holders,
correct?
2.) Does anyone have a source for cores for these units, good or bad?
3.) If I rewind just the field coils to 6volts and lower battery voltage to
48volts, will it have the same effect as running 12volt motors on 96volts?
4.) Should I rewind the armatures to 6 volts as well?
5.) If I under cut the comm. on the armature it will fry, correct? Can I use
12volt brushes with the higher voltages, or should I use a different
compound brush. I can get mica inserts in the comm., but it will require the
brushes to be harder, i.e. 12volt compound.
6.) Is there a formula to tell you how much power a motor will have when you
change voltages. Specifically I have 12 volt motors that produce 75ftlbs of
torque and 11hp. What will they produce at 24 volts, 48 volts, and 144volts?
What effect would putting 6 volt field windings in the same motors, and
keeping the 12volt armature have on those figures be?
Thanks in advance for all input, it is very appreciated.
Raymond

> >How about a British car? MGs and Triumphs of the era were pretty
> >robust and sporty. TR6, TR7, MBG
> >GT. Many options.
>
> OK, call me strange, but I've always wanted to electrify a Sunbeam
> (or Hillman) Imp. I once drove one as a gas car and I must say it was
> a hoot to drive!

(Why call ya strange when we take that for granted?) Is the car Arnold uses in
"Commando" (tears out the driver's seat with his bare hands) similar or was
that a Tiger? I'd love a Bugeye with a hard convertable top, and while we're at
it, a high-volt pack of Kokam LiPo paralleled to supply a Z1K -- smokin'!

<<Hmmm. Buying up used EVs to spiff up and resell, lots of stock moving
around, why does this sound familiar? Oh, yeah, U. S. Electricar, aka
Solar Electric Engineering.>>

Would there be someone named Gary Starr as a common denominator here?

> My current project is a 72 Volkswagon bug, which is undergoing a
> ground-up restoration, modification and conversion to 156 volts.  I'll
> be running a large DC motor with a 1200 Raptor controller.  The Insanity
> Feature of this vehicle is that I am narrowing it 12 inches.  The rear
> suspension has been narrowed 12 inches and will be running on 10 or 11
> inch slicks, not yet decided which.  The front suspension was narrowed 7
> inches and will be running 4-1/2 x 15 inch drag tires.  The
> undercarriage has been completely rebuilt and is ready to receive the
> narrowed body and roll cage when that is ready.  I have new aftermarket
> pans for the floor, which was completely rusted out.  And there is quite
> a bit of body work to be done on the heater channels which rest on the
> floor pans.  Fortunately, there are a lot of aftermarket parts for VW
> bugs.  The current status of the body is that it is sitting in pieces in
> the driveway, sawn down and ready to be reassembled 12 inches narrower.
> At least one heater channel will need replacing on the bottom.  All of
> the glass will be replaced with 1/8" Lexan.  I'm not setting any
> deadline on completing this car - I don't need the stress!
>
> In the process of narrowing the car, I'll be removing approximately 5
> square feet of frontal area, which should improve the aero considerably,
> and the process of narrowing the track will change the aspect ration
> between the tread and the wheel base.  This should give the effect of a
> longer car.

Wow! I mean really, WOW! I wish I had that much EV activity going on! Will I
have to have all my hair go white before then?!

Ever considered one of those little Opel GTs? Looks kind of like a small vette.

Those Opels are getting VERY scarce, and the parts are even harder to find. Granted you wouldn't need any engine components, but there are still a lot of other parts you'd need to source.

Also, these were a low horsepower, low torque car, so converting to EV would probably require the upgrade of a number of the components to tolerate the higher torque, and you'd probably need to update the suspension as well.

All in all, I think the Opel would make for a fun EV, but I think it would be very expensive (comparatively) and would require a lot of fabrication.

Just my .02

-Ken Trough
Admin - V is for Voltage Magazine
http://visforvoltage.com
AIM - ktrough
FAX - 801-749-7807
message - 866-872-8901

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Get rid of all the other ev's, smart marketing move and increase the stock value, but very underhanded...

----- Original Message ----- From: "James F. Jarrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

The red car in the scene is a tiger, I have an Alpine,
it looks the same except it has larger tail fins with
a slight backward slope to the taillights.

                      Gadget

=====
visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

Victor Tikhonov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Roger, I don't believe Chris was talking about battery just
> for drag racing application, but this doesn;t matter.

I can't locate his message at the moment, so I won't argue the point.  I
~think~ this thread spun off from the drag racing battery discusison,
hence my impression that the contemplated goal was to build batteries
more optimised for drage racing than what one can readily buy.

> Peter summarized it much better than I could - if your
> "arguments" are valid, this would be done by now.

Nonsense.  The fact that none of the EV drag racers has yet been
desperate enough for a high power battery to try building their own in
no way proves that it is infeasible to build a lead acid battery in
one's garage.  There are any number of things that I *could* build in my
garage but haven't; the fact that I haven't attempted to build something
does not indicate/prove that I am incapable of doing so.

By your (and Peter's) logic, before the first guy converted an EV in his
garage, that was impossible/infeasible too.  We know perfectly well that
it is completely feasible, even for someone who has not yet done so.
Look back to the turn of the century and you will find that
building/rebuilding lead acid batteries in one's garage (or the
equivalent) was pretty much de-rigeur.

> What's *your* excuse for not doing it?

I don't have an EV capable of utilising more current than I can get from
readily available batteries such as Hawkers, Optimas and Orbitals.

> Get serious.

I am absolutely serious Victor.

It is quite feasible to build a lead acid battery in one's garage, and a
clean room environment is not necessary.  Period.  You think it is a
silly idea, and that is fair enough, but that does not make it
impossible.  Nor does the fact that no-one on this list has yet been
motivated to try building their own battery make it impossible.

I don't necessarily think that it is particularly likely that Joe
Sixpack is going to go out to his garage and build himself a drag racing
pack that has consistent capacity, resistance, etc. from cell to cell,
at least not on his first or second try, but I certainly believe that he
could build himself a pack.

This is why my message concluded with suggestions of lead-acid batteries
that are (or might be) commercially available that might address the
drag racer's concerns with the usual choices (namely peak current
capability/cell interconnect failure).

Another, also quite serious, suggestion is that rather than building a
battery from the ground up, if the concern is primarily peak current
capability and interconnect robustness, it might be more practical to
take a mostly suitable battery, like the 13 or 16Ah Hawker, saw the lid
off and beef up the cell interconnects to address their shortcomings,
and then reseal the battery.

Assuming, of course, that everything that has not yet been attempted is
not automatically subject to the Tikhonov Impossibiltiy Rule ;^>

Rich Rudman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Why would Joe use a LowLY Zilla 2K when he has a Manzanita
> Micro Caveman 2500?

Well, I was under the impression that it was actually about 1800A (which
Joe seems to confirm).  Either way, the real question was that since I
know he has a car that could use all (or nearly all) the amps the
Orbitals will deliver, could he be in a position to set a new record by
virtue of running a lighter weight pack and full amps?

Joe Smalley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Those four optimas I ran two years ago were only putting out
> 34 volts as I crossed the 1/4 mile lights. The old Johnsons
> would be back up to 44 volts at the 1/4 mile point when I was
> running them.

So quit worrying about the 1/4 mile point already; at 48V only your
1/8th mile time counts anyway! ;^>

What sort of current were you loading the Optimas or Johnsons to at the
end of the 1/4?

> After I blew the controller a few years ago, I put a 1200 amp
> current limit in the controller. I have the option of turning
> it up to 1800 amps by changing one resistor. I have not
> exercised that option since I have not been able to use all
> 1200 amps that I now have.

Not use in the sense of not able to get it out of the pack, or not able
to get the motor to pull it long enough to make much difference to your
times?

--- Begin Message --- The biggest difference I know of is that the Tigers had the Ford 260 or 289, right? Maxwell Smart had one the first season ("Get Smart"), before he got the Karmann Ghia.
David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)
"I'm figuring out what's good for me, but only by a process of elimination"

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

I'm really enjoying this thread!

James Massey wrote:

> At 09:32 PM 11/02/05 -0800, Tim wrote:
> >Hi John,
> >
> >I'm thinking about something small, very light, rear drive, maybe even
> >direct driven, that would
> >look great with the right "look."

Exactly. I've converted newer cars and trucks, but compared to classic machines
from the
sixties and seventies, today's newer small cars and not-so-small trucks are,
well, a bit
boring. Front wheel drive is boring, jelly bean look-alike styling is boring,
2800-3200
lb. 'small cars' are boring, and interiors that are over-stuffed and over
styled, are also
boring.

In contrast, the early seventies small cars have styling that still looks hip
and fresh
today. Just ask any backwards baseball cap kid with a coffee can muffler
tricked out Honda
what his ultimate street import would be, and in an instant you'll here that
familiar
three digit name '510', as in Datsun 510. The Datsun 510 was classic looking
the day it
was put on the market, and from '68 - '73 it was a super sales success. Thanks
to ex Carol
Shelby cohort Pete Brock, the BRE racing 510s totally rewrote the 2.5 TransAm
Challenge,
where race prepped 510s were unbeatable and achieved legendary status.

I was at the 2005 Auto show recently, looking at all the colorful cool model
cars at a
brightly lit display and sales area. It was packed with older dudes and
dudettes as well
as the 18-25 year old import freaks. New this year, alongside the 55 Chevs,
muscle cars,
and T buckets, were dazzling hot import models like tricked out Eclipses,
tricked out
Honda Civics, Nissan Skyline GTs, etc., but it was the BRE styled 510 Datsun
models that
had the eye of all the young guys, and it was fun to watch them hold up the 510
model and
listen in to them talking about how someday, they'd find a clean 510, build up
a muscle
four banger, and smoke them rear tires!
I couldn't help myself, and jumped in to tell them about my sorted past with my
many hot
510's. At first, they didn't quite know what to think of this bearded older guy
talking
the import slang and all, but when I mentioned 'electric Datsuns', they kind of
freaked
out, as one started to go off about this insane little white 1200 he'd seen
blow off
muscle cars at PIR....what fun!

> Obviously the 1200's are hard to come
> >by nowadays.

Sadly, this is true. The Datsun 1200 was Nissan's cheapest economy car, a step
down from
the 510 aimed at first time car buyers. It quickly became a throw-away car, one
that at
$1795 brand new in '71, saw a rough life in the hands of teenagers, apartment
parking lot
mishaps (1200s pretty much never saw garages), and tow-away repossessions. In
general, it
was merely a bash around appliance type car. Few have survived their tormented
lives and
most are now a recycled memory. Still, there are nuts out there who love these
little
cars, and at the many, many Datsun club picnics and show & tell events around
the US, you
will still find nice little 1200s, often for sale, too.

> Can you recommend another car in the same league?  I had a '77 Corolla that
> would
> >fit most of the bill, but I don't know if it would have the right "look".

Interesting that you mention the Corolla. Toyota didn't quite know what to do
about their
competitor, Nissan Motors, who back in the early 70's heyday, was kicking
Toyota's butt
with the Datsun brand of fun, good looking, great handling, spunky sporty
little cars,
minitrucks, and the 240Z. The Corolla served double duty in its two model
forms, the
Corolla 1200 and the Corolla 1600, the latter the most common that went head to
head with
the Datsun 510. The solid axle, pushrod engined, plastic faced slightly
over-styled
Corolla 1600 didn't have a chance against the venerable 510 with its chiseled
good looks
sporting a stainless steel trimmed metal grill, clean bodywork, independent rear
suspension, and an overhead cam feisty 1600 motor. Proof....today, no one
collects and
lusts after an early 70's Corolla, but 510s have cult status. On the other
hand, the
cheaper Corolla 1200 sedan was Toyota's low priced car that was their answer to
the Datsun
1200...again, no contest as the fun looking Datsun soundly outperformed the
smallest
engined Toyota Corolla 1200, even though they had the same displacement. The
Corolla 1200
is still a fun little car however, and at a trim 1740 lbs. or so, isn't too far
off the
Datsun's sub 1600 lb. mark.

The Corolla 1200 is a great car to convert to electric power, as it's roomy
under the
hood, comes with rear wheel drive, has room for four passengers, and is pretty
nice
looking once you put on some trick wheels. No, it's not as cleanly styled as
the Datsun
1200 sedan, but it's still way cooler than today's economy sedans.

An electric Datsun 510 would be super cool, especially one with lots of
performance
designed-in. Clean 510s are plentiful, though the really nice ones are
commanding high
prices these days. At 2100 lbs. they aren't as light as a 1200, but they are
much
sturdier, have independent rear suspension, and with a few after market and or
Nissan
Comp. parts thrown in, can out corner expensive sports cars. A Datsun 510 2
door with the
BRE fender flares filled with low profile rubber and classic American Racing 4
spoke mags,
lowered and fitted with competition front and rear sway bars, rock'n tunes, and
a Z2K,
twin 8's, and 240V of Orbitals could blow off pretty much any rice burner you
might
encounter on the streets, or for that matter, even a Camaro or Mustang that
might get in
your way!

See Ya.....John Wayland