  1) RE: BB-600 Nicad Cells: SoCal & NorCal group buy?
        by "prime" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: BB-600 Nicad Cells: SoCal & NorCal group buy?
        by "prime" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: BB600 Purchase
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Spoon Feeding BB600's
        by William Brinsmead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Peukerts for LI-Poly (was Re: Additional outside funding)
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: BB600 A/A charging
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: BB-600 Nicad Cells: SoCal & NorCal group buy?
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Rewinding 3 phase AC motors
        by Mike Barber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Spoon Feeding BB600's
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Nicad Disposal Options, used electrolyte
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Adapters: to anodize or not to anodize
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Spoon Feeding BB600's
        by Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells: SoCal & NorCal group buy?
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Those NiCads
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Rewinding 3 phase AC motors
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Nicad Disposal Options, used electrolyte
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Those NiCads
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Spoon Feeding BB600's
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: 9" ADC aft mounting holes (rather, lack thereof)
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: wind charger and BB600's?
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Those NiCads
        by Neon John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Spoon Feeding BB600's
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Those NiCads
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) RE: Grizzly help needed please
        by "evranger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: BB-600 Nicad Cells - connectors
        by Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: wind charger and BB600's?
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) RE: wind charger and BB600's?
        by Gnat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) RE: Spoon Feeding BB600's
        by "Bill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I am thinking of getting 500 of them.  I can pick them up in LA area.  I
live in Ojai and have an F250.  If we can work out shipping for under $1
each I will go for them.  Lemme know and if you want me to do some research
I will check with local shippers.
Bill
805 646 8383

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

I am in the "discovery" portion of this project ;)

I plan on building my own inverter... I have a schematic around 50% complete,
most of the component selection done.  I'm trying to find out what is feasible
on the motor right now; I'm thinking of just getting a 1 or 2 hp 3 phase AC
motor used, get the inverter working, then try to find the motor that I want to
put in my car.

Mike Barber wrote:

>This translates to a peak achievable hp of 513 at the motor shaft.

Now we're talking! :)

>Assuming 85% efficiency, this reduces to 436 hp.

Still a nice number...

Get that motor rewound and go for it!

By the way, which inverter are you going to use with it?  What model
motor is this anyways?

--- Begin Message --- If the "made in china route" doesn't work out or we need them sooner, perhaps we can make them here.
Are they are the 1/4 thick plates I see in the photo's? What material?

What I am thinkiing is buying a 4'x8' plate of 1/4" stock and having them water jet cut.
I can get a quote if someone gets me a sketch. Any mix of shapes allowed in plate.

FOB Fresno,Ca.

PS I'd like to "recycle" 500 surplus nicad cells, if that helps in the shipping :-)

why use braided interconnects when the factory uses
solid ones? Making the solid interconnects would be a
cinch. Or if we have enough people we could job them
all out for a volume discount. I wonder what the
factory gets for them?

                    Gadget

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

Thanks for this information Jay,  I've been wondering about these issues
for a while.

What I'd still like to know is about the electrolyte in a dead Nicad cell.
Can the electrolyte be emptied (and neutralized, I imagine) and disposed
of locally, to reduce shipping for recycling?  Is this a bad idea?

Further, would the electrolyte be useful, for example in a situation where
you needed extra for use in a simple watering system like Lee Hart
discussed  recently? Does the electrolyte degrade as the battery ages, or
just the plates?

  --chris

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Dear fellow Nicad-loving listers,
>
> When not playing EV'er, my day job involves finding proper homes for all
> sorts of garbage, so I wanted to make sure that we all know what to do
> when these NiCd cells eventually die, because the cadmium that they
> contain is hazardous when released into the environment, and should never
> go to an incinerator or regular solid waste landfill.  Unlike lead acid
> batteries, the nicads do not have a positive scrap value, and there is
> only one facility in the country that I know of as the ultimate consumer
> of these cells; the International Metals Reclamation Company (INMETCO) in
> Ellwood City, Pennsylvania.
> http://www.inmetco.com/
> I spoke with their rep this morning, and INMETCO will accept shipments of
> dead flooded Nicads directly from individuals.  The cost for recycling is
> $0.45 per pound.  The nickel, cadmium, and any steel components are all
> recovered.  The cadmium can go back into batteries and cadmium-based
> pigments, and the nickel and steel winds up in stainless steel
> manufacture.  Plastic battery casings are commonly recycled into the
> common black polypropylene lead acid battery casings, but I'm not sure if
> this is 'the case' with INMETCO.
> Shipments can go direct, FOB INMETCO, or to one of their three
> consolidation points, 1) Wade Environmental Industries, Battery Division,
> Atco, New Jersey; 2) U.S. Filter Recovery Services, Inc., Roseville,
> Minnesota; and 3) Kinsbursky Brothers Supply, Inc., Anaheim, California.
> From these consolidation points the batteries are shipped to INMETCO.
>
> Shipping costs should not be any more than we're paying to get the cells
> in the first place, because under the EPA's Universal Waste Rule,
> batteries destined for recycling are not subject to most hazardous waste
> transportation regulations.
> When you have NiCd cells to dispose of, please contact one of the
> consolidators or INMETCO directly.  INMETCO requires advance approval for
> inbound shipments and self-delivery, but they will accept prepayment over
> the phone via credit card to simplify the transaction for individuals.
>
> I'm still awaiting a response from SAFT, since they also have a recycling
> office.  Contact info there is as follows: ... Saft America Inc., 711
> Industrial Boulevard PO Box 1886 Valdosta Georgia 31601 Tel : (229)
> 247-2331
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Jay Donnaway
> Sr. Solid Waste Policy Analyst
> Oregon Dept of Environmental Quality
> Land Quality Division
> 811 SW Sixth Avenue
> Portland, OR 97204-1390
> (503)229-6046
> Fax: 229-6977
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.deq.state.or.us

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I just got back from the anodize shop to get a quote on (and a quick lesson) on anodizeing.

I have 2 prototype pieces of aluminum  a motor bell and a tranny plate
There are 2 kinds on anodize

type II has ability to be brightly colored and offers some corrosion resistance and only minimal scratch resistance
Hard anodize limits to darker colors because the "natural" looks like titanium. It is twice the cost and more than twice the corrosion resistance and adds a strong scratch resistant coating.

These can always be an option and at this writing the quotes are as follows

bell
typeII Hard
+$12 +$25 2 reds,2blues, purple,2 greens,clear, gold
+$18 +$38 burgendy, black, clear(titanium), etc

What would you guys like ? plain least expesive Aluminum, some bright colors for a nominal upcharge?, or a hard surface for a not so nominal upcharge.

If we need interconnects in the thousands then it
would be really cheap to have then die cut.
                     Gadget

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:45:32 -0800 (PST), Reverend Gadget
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>By my tally that looks like 1080 cells so far. see
>what you can get the shipping for. I've already sent
>my money in to Hump. Cell count as follows.
>
>400 Gadget
>500 Bill
> 40 Roger
>140 Tim

Is there anyone else in the southeast that might be interested in some
of these?  I have a 15 ft cube van with a lift gate that we could use
to pick up a shipment from somewhere central and haul 'em around.
Split the trucking fee.  I'm interested in some of these but I don't
think I want to go the trucking fee by myself.

John De Armond
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.johngsbbq.com
http://neonjohn.blogspot.com <-- NEW!
Cleveland, Occupied TN

Hi Everyone,

There's no way I'd have the time or money to work in these NiCads that Hump is offering into my EV...but, I'm still really curious what advantages/disadvantages they would have over regular lead-acid?

If this has been discussed - sorry. Darn digest is a love/hate relationship.

-Ryan
--
- EV Source -
Zillas, PFC Chargers, and other EV stuff at great prices

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:50:12 -0800 (PST), Mike Barber
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am in the "discovery" portion of this project ;)
>
>I plan on building my own inverter... I have a schematic around 50% complete,
>most of the component selection done.  I'm trying to find out what is feasible
>on the motor right now; I'm thinking of just getting a 1 or 2 hp 3 phase AC
>motor used, get the inverter working, then try to find the motor that I want
>to put in my car.

A couple of comments.

No one tries to wind a small motor like that with 6 gauge wire.  If
that cross section is needed, the coil is wound with several parallel
conductors.  I think the most I've ever seen at the shop where I
moonlight is about 8 approximately #12 wires in parallel.  A single
wire won't fit through the slot, would be very difficult to handle and
would probably suffer stress fatigue from the vibration.

Core saturation will be a problem.  You'll have to measure it, mot
likely, as the calculations are too rough to be relied on at the edge
of the envelope.

Take what Lee said to heart about the rotor.  That is going to be your
limiting factor.  There are companies whose business is supplying
custom rotors for special applications.  Any decent motor shop will
know about those.  You'll want the lowest possible resistance copper
welded rotor to withstand the thermal load.

The trade group for motor shops, EASA (Electrical Apparatus Service
Association) offers free motor re-engineering for their members.  We
use it a lot.  Tell the engineer what the new application is, the
desired voltage, power, etc and he'll model the motor and reply with
the specifics of winding.  They have experience with thousands of
motors so their answers will work without a lot of trial and error.

Speaking from several decades of experience in designing motor
controllers, I recommend starting out driving resistive dummy loads.
Get your basic controller and drive electronics working into a
resistive load and only then deal with an inductive one.  That will
save a LOT of "WTF is going on" with all the inductive crap flying
around.

Unless you enjoy seeing hundreds of dollars' worth of blue smoke waft
away in an instant, start out small and work up in increments.

John De Armond
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.johngsbbq.com
http://neonjohn.blogspot.com <-- NEW!
Cleveland, Occupied TN

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:17:21 -0600 (CST), "Christopher Robison"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Thanks for this information Jay,  I've been wondering about these issues
>for a while.
>
>What I'd still like to know is about the electrolyte in a dead Nicad cell.
>Can the electrolyte be emptied (and neutralized, I imagine) and disposed
>of locally, to reduce shipping for recycling?  Is this a bad idea?

The electrolyte is simple potassium hydroxide, approximately the same
as lye.  You can simply pour it out on the ground.  In short order it
reacts with the CO2 in the air to form potassium carbonate, the
potassium version of common washing soda.  Or you can neutralize it
with vinegar, sulfuric acid, etc, and flush it down the drain.  Unlike
Pb batteries, the electrolyte does not enter into the electrochemical
reaction so there isn't any significant dissolved metal in it.

>Further, would the electrolyte be useful, for example in a situation where
>you needed extra for use in a simple watering system like Lee Hart
>discussed  recently? Does the electrolyte degrade as the battery ages, or
>just the plates?

If the cell is not sealed, the electrolyte will slowly react with
atmospheric CO2 and be neutralized.  When that happens, simply pour
out the old and refill with new.  If the cell is sealed then the
electrolyte will last forever or thereabouts.  KOH is so cheap, and
considering the difficulty in keeping CO2 away from it over the long
term that I'd not bother to try and save it.  Just mix new when you
need it.

I have a 28 volt pack - someone told me it was a helicopter pack -
that I got mil surplus back in the early 70s.  I've changed
electrolyte a couple of times.  Still going strong.  It came with a
shorting plug on the Canon connector.  The battery is long term stored
fully discharged and shorted.

John De Armond
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.johngsbbq.com
http://neonjohn.blogspot.com <-- NEW!
Cleveland, Occupied TN

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Marginally better energy density than lead in the summer. Much better than lead when cold. Will tolerate high current draw, unlike SAFT STM high ENERGY blocks. Will tolerate overcharge well, will tolerate total discharge well, unlike lead. Needs lots of little interconnects. A hassle to water. Water usage is unclear. (Mine weren't bad at all)

Very abuse tolerant unless you fill them with water that isn't distilled/ demineralized, etc.
Seth
On Mar 10, 2005, at 10:06 PM, Ryan Bohm wrote:

Hi Everyone,

There's no way I'd have the time or money to work in these NiCads that Hump is offering into my EV...but, I'm still really curious what advantages/disadvantages they would have over regular lead-acid?
If this has been discussed - sorry. Darn digest is a love/hate relationship.

-Ryan
--
- EV Source -
Zillas, PFC Chargers, and other EV stuff at great prices
E-mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Toll-free: 1-877-215-6781

--- Reverend Gadget <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If we need interconnects in the thousands then it
> would be really cheap to have then die cut.
>                      Gadget

Seth made a good point about the flexible interconnect. A recent post mentioned
how these cells
like to swell with charging. If you get a lot of movement but use solid
connections it could
weaken and crack the housings. I saw his interconnects and they were pretty
nice and not to hard
to make. I was thinking of using the crimped copper option mentioned recently.
Flatten copper ends
onto stainless braid, dip the copper, drill a hole, a little heat shrink tubing
and you're done.
Good solid connection and some corrosion protection. Does stainless braid have
similar electrical
properties compared to strap connections?

I'd like to put together a 144 volt pack with as many as three strings for
range. I was thinking
about the watering issue and how to handle it. What about building small packs
of cells that could
be easily disconnected and removed from the car (with a lift), say 25 in a
pack. That would be a
block about 8.5" x 12.5" x 9". That way you could water them on the bench.
Could you use an
Anderson type connector on each pack or would that be too much loss/resistence
versus direct
wiring?

Dave Cover

Gabe wrote:
>>On my E-scort, the end of the motor is not supported at all.  It is bolted
directly to the bell housing of the transaxle.  With all this talk about aft
mounts, should I install some sort of support or motor clamp type support?
This E-scort has been this way for years without any problems but I recently
upgraded to a larger controller and had to turn down the amps due to main
circuit breaker tripping.  Need to upgrade this breaker<<

On my Rabbit Pickup the motor was not supported. I replaced the 3 tranny
mounts with aftermarket urethane ones and never had any problem. My
controller was a small one though, one of the rare DCP450's.

Paul G.

Tim wrote:
>>There are shipments headed to;

Phoenix AZ,

Austin TX,

Los Angeles CA,

Vancouver WA,<<

I missed a WA buyer! Would the WA buyer please contact me? (reply onlist or
offlist)  I am interested in NiCad's for my EV Buggy. The old Optimas are
dying fast (my fault on charging, and 5 years of winter storage.) The BB600
batteries are a bit tall, but I could work with that. Realistic discharge
current with good voltage (for at least the 1st 60% of capacity) would be
another - I need a solid 400 amps and would prefer a solid 600 amps to
better than 0.9 volts per cell.

I can get to Vancouver WA with my Pickup. I would need up to 110 good cells
(plus extras for testing and possible rejection.) Cell price info and
shipping estimates would help me decide (along with dimensions.) I'm all for
a NiCad pack!

Paul "neon" G.

P.S. - Gadget wrote:
>>400 Gadget
500 Bill
 40 Roger
140 Tim<<

(if I'm in its about 120 or so for me) How many of these do we have to go
around? I just finially got myself a good job again so finally I can do more
than just drive my existing EV into the ground :-)

Just a little correction.  "Tolerate" is the wrong word to use to
describe the battery's behavior to total discharge.  Total discharge
with the terminals shorted is the correct state for long term storage.

My experience with surplus aviation mil-spec nicads is that they use
very little water. In the application I use mine for (powering 2 way
radios) they use essentially no water.

 That makes sense if you think about it.  With the number of planes,
helicopters and such out there in the military, it would be an
impossible maintenance burden to have to water all those millions of
cells on a frequent basis.

John

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:20:14 -0500, Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Marginally better energy density than lead in the summer. Much better
>than lead when cold. Will tolerate high current draw, unlike SAFT STM
>high ENERGY blocks. Will tolerate overcharge well, will tolerate total
>discharge well, unlike lead. Needs lots of little interconnects. A
>hassle to water. Water usage is unclear. (Mine weren't bad at all)
>
>Very abuse tolerant unless you fill them with water that isn't
>distilled/ demineralized, etc.
>Seth
>On Mar 10, 2005, at 10:06 PM, Ryan Bohm wrote:

---
John De Armond
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.johngsbbq.com
http://neonjohn.blogspot.com <-- NEW!
Cleveland, Occupied TN

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Solder pot dipped braid is an option, but IIRC someone looked into this a while back. Not as cheap as desired, but at qty 1000, it might be more economical.

Seth

On Mar 10, 2005, at 10:38 PM, Dave Cover wrote:

[...]

--- Begin Message --- So is tolerate not giving them enough credit or too much (I was hoping to err on too little, as cell reversal obviously is what happens shortly after zero voltage under load). I also got mine new @ 0 volts, with shorting wires. And in 2 summers I never filled them with water. But my usage might not be typical for a road EV. And I was pretty careful when charging.

Seth

wrote:

Marginally better energy density than lead in the summer. Much better
than lead when cold. Will tolerate high current draw, unlike SAFT STM
high ENERGY blocks. Will tolerate overcharge well, will tolerate total
discharge well, unlike lead. Needs lots of little interconnects. A
hassle to water. Water usage is unclear. (Mine weren't bad at all)

Very abuse tolerant unless you fill them with water that isn't
distilled/ demineralized, etc.
Seth
On Mar 10, 2005, at 10:06 PM, Ryan Bohm wrote:

---
John De Armond
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.johngsbbq.com
http://neonjohn.blogspot.com <-- NEW!
Cleveland, Occupied TN

Here ya go ...

This table is supplemental to Auburn Component and Installation guide Rev6
February 6, 1998. Note that chassis ground wire color in harness is now
green rather than green/yellow.

Grizzly Harness Wire Color Definitions
Connector Pin # Wire Color      Function        Note
1       Red     Controller Enable
2       Orange  Throttle Pot
3       Yellow  Throttle Pot
4       Blue    Diagnostic +    Leave unconnected
5       Green   Chassis Ground  Was Green/Yellow
6       Brown   Low Power Mode
7       Grey    Economy Mode
8       Violet  Diagnostic -    Leave unconnected
9       White   Contactor Enable

Look carefully at pin insulator body of your new connector. It will have the
numbers 1-9 on it. Hook it up as described above.

Dave Luiz

visit my website at www.reverendgadget.com