  1) Greener cars at Geneva motor show
        by lyle sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: A few newbie questions.
        by "Barry C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: We Blow Things Up, So You Don't Have To...2007
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: A few newbie questions.
        by "Barry C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Better Data Logging Options?
        by Rodney A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: A few newbie questions.
        by "Barry C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: FAST(er)  NEV's - Update HB 1820 Washington State
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) 120 VDC to 120VAC Inverter Source?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: Curtis stuff
        by mike golub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: A few newbie questions.
        by "Ted Sanders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: A few newbie questions.
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Better Data Logging Options?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: 120 VDC to 120VAC Inverter Source?
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: charging while driving question
 15) RE: 120 VDC to 120VAC Inverter Source?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Better Data Logging Options?
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: We Blow Things Up, So You Don't Have To...2007
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: 120 VDC to 120VAC Inverter Source?
        by MIKE WILLMON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Better Data Logging Options?
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: wall to road efficiency
 21) Re: EVLN(Hawks' Senate Bill 185: "medium-speed electric vehicles")
        by GWMobile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Article on the Geneva Motor SHow on msn.com
http://autoshow.autos.msn.com/autoshow/Geneva2007/default.aspx

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

--- "Barry C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I am wanting to build a EV ... Able to run 65-70mph. 35-50mi.
> > carry 2 adults, 2 children for around the town errands on occasion.
> > This is doable?
>

>No, not practically.  If you can cut either the speed or the
>range in half, it could be.  If you can recharge at the halfway
>point of the 35-50 miles, it counts as cutting the range in
>half.  But if you're really putting on that many miles in a
>day, expect to replace your pack frequently.

I have been reading and searching trying to find a donor car that I will be
able to create that would get these results. I have been reading that the EV's
can achieve these speeds. Is it just that they can't sustain them very long? My
commute from Hayward to Oakland is about 20mi round trip. I most likely would
not have the ability to charge half way unless the public garage by the Oakland
city center has charging stations of some sort.

> > Right now I was looking at a Ford escort wagon

> > Trojan T145 6V batteries. (144V 24 batteries)
>

>Not in an Escort.  It could never hold that much weight, at
>least not safely.

Any recommendations... I have looked at Toyota Tercel's, Geo metro's, small
trucks.....
One thing is I am capable of beefing up the suspension.

Thanks for your help.

>Mark "EV Basher" Brueggemann
>Albuquerque, NM
>S-10 EV

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hi John, great report as always! It does look like you were there if it had held together. You talk about those elusive elevens. Well I distinctly remember you talking about those elusive twelve's and that elusive 100 mph mark. It is quite obvious that you are never satisfied, are you Mr. Wayland? :-) I agree with Chris and Dennis's advice of going to a slightly taller rear ratio. The best 60 foot time we ever got from Gone Postal was launching in third gear on the front motor. This was advice from Otmar. You know, that very rational and calm gentleman :-)

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Wayland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Barry C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: A few newbie questions.
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:16:57 -0700

Are you able to travel on the highway?

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon. http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglinemarch07
--- "Barry C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have been reading that the EV's can achieve these speeds.
> Is it just that they can't sustain them very long?

Yes.  You get speed or range, but not both.

> My commute from Hayward to Oakland is about 20mi round trip.

You gave a range of 20-35 in your other post, which makes a huge
difference.  35 is almost 2X.  20 miles, even at freeway speeds
is pretty doable.

>>> Trojan T145 6V batteries. (144V 24 batteries)
>> It could never hold that much weight, at least not safely.

> Any recommendations...

I don't think you'll need T-145's to get the range you are (now)
looking for anyway.  My opinion of what a chassis is capable of
is based on what it would be like to drive it loaded similarly as
an ICE vehicle.  Imagine putting a half a ton or so of sand
in an Escort and driving around that way.  Just because you can
find places to fit batteries doesn't mean you can keep piling
them in for the sake of range.  Yes, you can beef up the suspension
but that's just a start.  You have to think about braking and
handling as well, which means balancing the pack from front to
back, keeping the center of gravity low, and not push your luck
with GVWR.  I've seen conversions well above GVWR and consider
that an accident waiting to happen.

> I have been reading about a lot of cars out there with
> 144V and 192V systems how are they dealing with the weight
> in small cars?

They use smaller batteries, like Optimas or Hawkers.

Mark "EV Basher" Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM
S-10 EV

John Fisher wrote:

> LabView does have a free student edition:
> http://www.ni.com/academic/edu_lic.htm

Err... Almost free.  You appear to need to purchase an academic site
licence before you have the option of providing free copies to students.
An individual student can purchase a student version for $80-100.  The
rest of us who don't qualify are looking at $1200 :(

Mark Brueggemann wrote:

> The issue Roger brings up about isolation is a good one, most
> DAQ modules are expecting basically TTL levels referenced to
> ground.  Not that a suitable module doesn't exist, but since
> I've never had a need for one I've never sought one out.

I was just looking at $2000 USB solutions from Agilent, and even they
appear to be unsuitable (just a cursory look, so they *might* be usable,
but certainly there is no mention of isolation).

A very slick solution is Agilent's 34970A data acquisition/switch device
with internal 6.5-digit DMM option.  3 slots, each of which can hold a
20-channel analog mux each input of which is isolated from the others (2
wire relay-switched) and each channel can tolerate up to 300V.  If you
don't need 60 analog input channels, there are 16-channel output boards,
etc. available that you can mix and match.  I don't think you can get
one that will run off 12VDC, but it should run off a small inverter just
fine.  We use several in the lab at work, and I use its ancester, the
HP3497A, at home but the 19" rack size 3497 isn't really friendly for
in-vehicle use ;^)

Agilent 34970A:

<http://www.home.agilent.com/USeng/nav/-536900534.0/pc.html>

A bit pricey for most hobbiests, but then people who are open to the use
of a $1200 software package for logging and analysing their data aren't
really "normal" hobbiests anyway ;^>

> Some might consider the idea of $1200 for a software program
> and maybe a like amount for DAQ hardware to be extravagent or
> superfluous, but consider the time investment you would have
> to make to build an equivalent system from scratch, using
> discrete components and "free" PC's.  You could spend months
> getting the hardware built and bugs worked out, with an off
> the shelf solution you could be experimenting and playing
> with data within a few hours.

Let's see...  My homebrew onboard data-acquisition consists of a few
tens of dollars of custom hardware to provide the analog mux function
and an RS232 DMM as the A/D.  Probably not a lot over $100 total
investment.  The custom hardware is on solderless breadboard, but sure,
it did take a few hours to design and breadboard it.  An old '286 laptop
running Qbasic from a DOS prompt controls it all and logs the data.
Analysis is perfromed off-line using Excel, etc.

I have to say that if any of us hobbiests placed any realistic value on
our time & labour, we wouldn't be in this ;^>

But, if we did place a realistic value on our time, it would almost
certainly make sense to buy off-the-shelf software and hardware... Just
as it would make more sense to buy a professionally-built or production
EV instead of building our own ;^>

> I have a need for a 120VDC to 120VAC, 60 HZ Power Inverter at
> about 1500 Peak Watts.  I am installing this into an EV for a
> test of sorts.

Exeltech make sine wave inverters for use at up to 120 volts nominal input.
Actually they describe them as "108 volt." I have no idea why; the specs say
"125 volts typical system voltage."  They can handle up to 149v in.

The XP range only goes to 1100 watts (continuous), so you'd probably need
to use two of the stackable 1000W modules from the MX range.

Exeltech are high quality gear, made in USA, and (especially in higher
voltages) definitely NOT priced to compete with the Chinese sweatshop mod-
square inverters.

I have two of their 1100W, 48V input inverters in a backup power system.
They are things of beauty, IMO.

http://www.exeltech.com/

> I have heard about the pollution issue of generator engines.  What about
> using a small motorcycle engine?  I know that 2-stroke motorcycles pollute
> more than 4-stroke, but how does the 4-stroke compare to standard
> automobile engines, and the generator?  And can you do much to reduce it?

Newer motorcycle engines are better than lawmower engines, but nowhere
near newer automobile engines.  The emmision requirements for on road
motorcycles is pretty basic and, last I checked, off-road bikes have no
requirements.

David Roden wrote:

> Exeltech make sine wave inverters for use at up to 120 volts
> nominal input. Actually they describe them as "108 volt."
> I have no idea why; the specs say "125 volts typical system
> voltage."  They can handle up to 149v in.

Probably because the on-charge voltage of a 120V nominal pack will
exceed the 149V max input rating.  2.5V/cell * 60 cells  = 150V.

At 108V nominal (54 cells), 2.5V/cell is only 135V.  The 149V max allows
for up to 2.76V/cell on the 108V nominal pack.

--- Rodney A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can you set it up like a 'dumb terminal' though?
> I mean, without actually running the bulk of the
> program, just do the setup via a normal PC and then
> load it into flash memory with the LCD so it just
> shows the information?

Not sure what the "LCD" is, or what it's connected to,
if it's not hooked to a PC.  No, it needs to be running
on a PC.

> I love the idea of a virtual instrumentation panel via
> an LCD panel, but not if you have to put a mini PC and
> OS in the car as well...

It's a trivial exercise, especially compared to building
the EV, a BMS, or other DAQ system.  You could just run it
on a laptop if you wish.  But, if PC-less is your goal,
you can forget LabView as an option.

Mark "EV Basher" Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM
S-10 EV

Hey John,

Any chance the camera crew provided you with any clips to tease us with??
Or are they holding footage for their full length feature film about a guy in a
Plasmaboy suit??

From: John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:41 pm
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

http://www.railway-technology.com/contractors/electrification/schaffler/

Roger Stockton wrote:
John Fisher wrote:
LabView does have a free student edition:
http://www.ni.com/academic/edu_lic.htm

Err... Almost free.

try
http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0131999184,00.html
"Package Includes New LabVIEW 8 Student Edition. National Instruments' LabVIEW is the defacto industry standard for test, measurement, and automation software solutions. With the Student Edition of LabVIEW, students can design graphical programming solutions to their classroom problems and laboratory experiments with software that delivers the graphical programming capabilites of the LabVIEW professional version. . The Student Edition is also compatible with all National Instruments data acquisition and instrument control hardware."

from http://www.ni.com/labviewse/
$101 with book.

or ask a student
or take a community college course for $50  ( CA price YMMV )
or buy Ver7 from somebody for $50

not intended to be a panacea, but possibly interesting to digerati

I was just looking at $2000 USB solutions from Agilent,

You guys are on your own for the instrumentation, please report back.
and could you find something on a surplus site?
;>)

JF

> Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>> Actually, Lead-Acid batteries rarely last 20,000 miles, many (most?)
>> don't even last 10,000.
>
> That's probably true. Most people (at least new EV owners) seem to abuse
> them into an early grave. I'd say 20,000 miles is a good number for
> flooded lead-acid golf cart batteries if you take reasonable care of them.

Absolutely, but (unlike many on this list) I'm comparing what ACTUALLY
exists, not what might exist.

>> But you are absolutely correct, EVs are not typically low maintenance.
>
> "Typical" EVs on this list are either built by very small inexperienced
> companies, or one-off home-made conversions. They aren't generally built
> to the same standards as new commercially produced automobiles. They
> often start out with a used car that already has lots of miles. The
> builder is often less than skilled in all the fields needed.
>
> But EVs certainly *can* be lower maintenance. Even with flooded
> batteries, you don't normally need to add water more than every few
> months. And there is no maintenance at all for the motor or controller.

And many new ICEs boast that they don't need their first scheduled
"tune-up" untill they reach 100,000 miles.  In the town where I live, all
but one of the dealers offer free oil changes for life (inludes oil
filter), so your only maintenance costs for the first 100,000 miles would
be three(3) air filters.  Well, that and chasis lube and tire rotation,
but you are going to have those regardless of whether it's an ICE or EV.

> You can see this quite clearly in commericial EVs; the electrics are far
> more reliable and lower maintenance than equivalent ICE versions.

Actually, I don't recall that from the recent commercially available EVs,
what I recall is frequent (monthly?) battery maintenance (granted, usually
included in the lease) and stories of EV1s that went through numerous
batteries, even whole packs, during their 3-6 year life span.

The fact is that ICEs are gettig incrediably reliable, to the point where
it's getting hard to claim that EVs /could be/ significantly more
reliable.

>> Think about how expensive an EV would be if you had to pay to have
>> a professional check and water the batteries every month.
>
> Fork lifts and golf cart users have to pay their maintenance people to
> do this. They still find the EVs cheaper than ICEs.

Perhaps in large fleets, but most bussinesses that I see with only one
forklift usually opt for propane powered ones.  I have to wonder why that
is.

Those are all good ideas.

They should also waive any license for for 100% electric vehicles. They save the government so much in health costs from not emiiting pollution that the owners should actually get money FROM the government for driving them.

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 1:38 pm, bruce parmenter wrote:
EVLN(Hawks' Senate Bill 185: "medium-speed electric vehicles")
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2007/03/17/breakingnews/40car.txt
Hawks' Senate Bill 185: "medium-speed electric vehicles"
Governor takes a spin in an electric car   March 17, 2007
By WALT WILLIAMS [EMAIL PROTECTED] Chronicle Staff
Writer

HELENA - New vehicles that get at least 35 miles to the gallon on
highways would have their licensing fees waived for two years
under a new provision that Gov. Brian Schweitzer plans to add to
his "clean and green" energy bill.

He made the announcement Friday just before test driving what may
be the cleanest of vehicles -- an electric car.

"Hey, Nance! Whaddya think?" Schweitzer yelled at his wife while
looking over a gray ZENN electric car. "This is my pick for the
day. What other colors do you have?"

ZENN stands for Zero Emission No Noise. The three cars the
governor was looking at were brought to Helena by Ron Gompertz,
owner of Eco Auto in Bozeman.

Gompertz is asking state lawmakers to support a bill by Sen. Bob
Hawks, D-Bozeman, to allow medium-speed electric vehicles to
travel up to 35 mph on city roads.

Such vehicles are currently prohibited by law from traveling more
than 25 mph.

"A moped can go faster" than that, Gompertz said.

The governor took short drives in the vehicles, towing along at
least one reporter and at one point seeing if he could get his
dog, Jag, into the back of one of the cars.

He asked how fast the car could go, and Gompertz explained there
was a device known as -- no kidding -- a "governor" that kept it
from going over 25 mph.

"I actually like that speed limit -- I might buy it for my
daughter," Schweitzer joked, referring to his teenage daughter
Katrina. "I would like to put a governor on the car she is
driving right now."

Electric cars such as those sold at Eco Auto are classified as
"neighbor electric vehicles" under state law, a designation that
was created for golf carts.

Hawks' proposal -- Senate Bill 185 -- would create a new
category, "medium-speed electric vehicles," which would allow
them to travel up to 35 mph on roads, although they still would
not be allowed on roads with speed limits over 45 mph.

Medium-speed electric cars are not meant for cross-country trips,
but rather for driving around town. The problem is that
electric-car owners want to drive faster than 25 mph, so the
dealers hope raising the speed limit will convince more people to
buy one.

Another Bozeman businessman, Steven Titus, president of Free
Drive Inc., was in Helena Friday to drum up support for Hawks'
bill.

Most electric cars are simply plugged into an outlet so their
batteries can charge overnight. However, Titus has designed a
medium-speed electric vehicle that will draw part of its energy
from attached solar panels.

Titus said he recently attended an alternative energy car show in
California where 100 different types of vehicles were on
display.

"From what I heard, people are ready" for electric vehicles, he
said.

Schweitzer's proposal, meanwhile, would promote more traditional
vehicles, albeit ones getting good gas mileage. His proposal
would waive license fees for two years on a new vehicle that gets
35 miles to the gallon or better on highways.

The Honda Civic, Ford Focus FWD, Toyota Camry and Toyota Prius
all fit that definition.

The provision will be part of the governor's "clean and green
energy" bill, which includes tax breaks for clean-coal
technologies, solar and wind power, and biofuels. It will be
sponsored by Sen. Jesse Laslovich, D-Anaconda.

Hawks' bill has cleared the Senate and has been assigned to a
House committee.

Photos & articles ©1996-2006 the Bozeman Daily Chronicle
Bozeman, MT

===

eg.mt.gov/css/sessions/60th/leg_info.asp?...&SessionID=91&LAWSID=3871
[

http://laws.leg.mt.gov/pls/lAWS07/law0210W$BSIV.ActionQuery?P_BILL_DFT_NO5=LC0457&Z_ACTION=Find
LC0457 SB 185 Primary Sponsor (H) Hearing 03/16/2007 Provide for
medium speed electric vehicles]

===

-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter